Comprehensively refitted, upgraded, and updated example of the iconic Doug Peterson designed Baltic 38DP.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
The Baltic 38 DP was an iconic design of the IOR era. Designed by the late Doug Peterson and regarded by many as one his finest designs.
FRIGG has always been based in the Baltic Sea. She was originally delivered for competition use and thus has a taller rig than standard and was delivered without fittings in the forepeak which were fitted at Baltic Yachts a few seasons later.
FRIGG is in outstanding condition and has since 2016 always been stored inside the shipyard (D-Marin) during the winters where engine maintenance and other service works have been completed annually. All listed service work after 2016 is performed by the shipyard D-Marin. After purchase by the current owners in 2016, a detailed moisture measurement was made on the boat - the boat was dry and without defects.
FRIGG has also benefitted from a significant program of refit and upgrades stretching from 2015 to the present day with highlights including:
• Full B&G system (including autopilot) with three multifunction displays in the cockpit and Zeus hybrid touch in the steering wheel 2015
• Refrigerator unit replaced 2016
• New teak deck 2017
• New fresh water pump 2018
• New batteries 2020, separate engine battery. Solar panel (not connected)
• The saloon cushions are upholstered in 2021
• Holding tank installed 2010s serviced and all hoses renewed 2021. Emptying into the sea or via the deck.
• Renewal of lazypack 2021
• Stove checked and serviced 2021
• Shorepower serviced and new power distributor installed in 2021
• New hydraulic Navtek for the rear stay 2021, also hydraulic vang. Both are controlled from the cockpit.
BALTIC YACHTS OVERVIEW OF THE BALTIC 38 DP:
The Baltic 38DP was an excellent example of one of Baltic’s successful production yachts. Designed in 1982 by in-vogue naval architect Doug Peterson, 55 of these genuine racer/cruisers were built, proving that racing, ease of handling and cruising capability could co-exist in the same hull.
The deck ergonomics were planned with both cruising and racing in mind. It had to work for both a large racing crew and a couple. The deck was carefully engineered, comfortable and easy to work even for a small crew.
The accommodation benefitted from an idea to angle the position of bulkheads so that better use could be made of the interior space. In those days narrow ended hull shapes were the norm, driven mainly by the International Offshore Racing Rule. Many 38s raced successfully in Europe and the USA.
• Our understanding is that the vessel is exempt from the European Union’s Recreation Craft Directive as she was first placed into use within the EEU prior to June 1998
• Balsa core fibreglass sandwich using fibreglass mat.
• High stress areas are specially strengthened with unidirectional roving oriented in the direction of the stress.
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Hand laid-up moulded fibreglass with balsa core for stiffening and insulation
• Extra reinforcement incorporated in way of winches and fittings
• The deck has a high strength/weight ratio and is bonded to the hull with layers of roving and through bolded
• New teak deck 2017
Keel & Rudder:
• Balanced spade rudder moulded from fibreglass and fitted with stainless steel rudder stock
• Fin keel, cast to high accuracy in lead with added antimony, through bolded to the hull
Engine & gearbox:
• Yanmar 3HMF freshwater cooled 3 cylinders 36hp
• Hurth V-drive gearbox
Service & Maintenance:
• The engine has been serviced professionally annually
Propulsion & Steering:
• 3-blade flex-o-fold folding propeller
• Wheel steering with Elk hide covered helm wheel
• Steering cables last checked 2021
• 12vDC primary domestic system and 220v AC via shore power
• 1x 12v gel engine start battery
• 2x 12v gel services batteries - 2020
• Battery charger
• 12v 105A engine mounted alternator
• Solar panel
• 220vAC shore power
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• Dedicated gas locker outside.
• Bottle mounting and gas system regularly serviced, and system pressure tested 2022.
• Hot and cold pressure water system
• Hot water provided from a boiler run by 220v immersion heater element or via engine driven calorifier.
• Shower at stern (not connected)
• Manual diaphragm bilge pumps
• Electric bilge pump
• 120 litres fuel capacity in stainless steel tank
• Deck mounted filler
• 300 litres water capacity in 3x stainless steel tanks
• Deck mounted filler
• Hot water system
• 50 litres in stainless steel tank
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• B&G GPS chart plotter displays in cockpit
• B&G Zeus hybrid touch at the steering wheel
• B&G wind, speed, depth and log transducers with 3x cockpit displays at companionway
• B&G autopilot with remote control with B&G gyro compass
VHF DOMESTIC EQUIPMENT
• Gimballed propane stove with oven - checked and serviced 2021
• Large, well-insulated fridge
• Formica cover work top
• Stainless steel double sink with pressurised water supply
• Manual fresh and saltwater supplies via foot pumps
• Pressurised hot & cold-water supply
• Foot operated freshwater and saltwater pumps
• Marine Blake toilet with overboard and holding-tank discharge
• Eberspärcher diesel-fired hot air cabin heating outlets in stern cabin, saloon, and fore cabin
• LED lighting installed in the original lamps and led strips
• Red LED floor lighting for passages
Summary of Accommodation:
• Up to six berths in two cabins plus saloon
• Lee cloths in all berths
• Two removable sea berths in saloon
• Joinery is teak
• Bulkheads are teak-faced ply.
• Visible teak surfaces are varnished and hand-rubbed to obtain a nice “satin” type surface.
• All doors are provided with retaining hooks and swing stops
• The saloon cushions are upholstered in 2021
Accommodation layout from Forward:
• Double berth with sail stowage under and hanging lockers port and starboard.
• Settee to port and starboard with lockers and shelves above. Centre table with folding wings with centre storage.
• L-shaped galley aft of saloon to port. Double stainless steel sink.
• Aft of saloon to starboard. Forward facing chart table with seat.
Owner’s aft Cabin Ensuite Heads:
• Double centreline berth, seats to both sides of berth, one hanging locker portside, many lockers.
• Marine toilet, fresh water operated pump, mirror. Ensuite heads communicating with main saloon.
• Aluminium anodised mast and boom painted black
• Keel-stepped mast with 2 sets of spreaders and masthead rigged
• Stainless steel rod rigging
• Navtec hydraulic panel for backstay and vang - backstay tensioner changed and system overhauled 2021
• Furlex furler for genoa
• Adjustable staysail track
• Deck-stowed spinnaker pole with mast track
• Whisker pole
• Running backstays
• 2x Lewmar 55self-tailing 2-speed genoa sheet winches
• 2x Lewmar 55self-tailing 2-speed spinnaker sheet winches
• 1x Lewmar self-tailing 2-speed mainsail sheet winch
• 2x Lewmar self-tailing 40 2-speed cockpit winches
• 5x Lewmar 48halyard winches at the mast
• Boding Sails carbon membrane mainsail – 2012 excellent condition checked and serviced annually by sailmaker on harken roller bearing mast cars
• WB Sails MAXX carbon furling jib – 2013 excellent condition checked and serviced annually by sailmaker
• North Sails Dacron furling genoa No. 2 – approx. 2008 good condition checked and serviced annually by sailmaker
• Dacron battened mainsail – 2005
• Gennaker from 2015 with sock excellent condition checked and serviced annually by sailmaker
• Several head sails in ok and usable condition
• Several spinnakers in ok condition
• Stern platform in stainless steel and teak
• Teak cockpit table
Anchoring & Mooring:
• 12vDC anchor windlass
• Stainless steel bruce anchor with 30m galvanised chain & warp
• Fenders and warps
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Stackpack with lazyjacks - 2021
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
• Flare, fire extinguishers etc. serviced and checked regularly according to applicable standards
Lying – Taalintehdas, Finland
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Matias Renlund – Grabau International (Scandinavia)
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.