Sparkman & Stephens designed performance cruiser from Baltic Yachts in Finland. Hull No.5 of 5 in the semi-custom series. Refitted in 2023 with new paint, sails, batteries and so on.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
PIXELION was originally built by the Baltic shipyard as the last of five Baltic 64’s for an Italian entrepreneur (pharmaceutical industry). He set the interior design for his own use and plans - to use her mainly for Corporate events (hence the reason for the 2 master cabins). The yacht was originally named “LADY G” and was operated across Italy under the Italian Flag.
A few years later the first owner sold “LADY G”, to order a larger new yacht from Baltic. The new owner was an Italian / American who changed the yacht’s name to “VAHANLEX”. Sold back to Europe in 2009, she was renamed ‘PIXELION’ and benefitted from a comprehensive refit in 2010/2011. Sold again in 2018, PIXELION cruised to the Caribbean where she was recently purchased by her current owner to add to his constantly changing fleet which currently also includes a classic Swan 65.
2023 refit highlights include:
• New Awlgrip topsides paint.
• New Awlgrip deck/superstructure paint.
• Refurbished teak decks
• New mainsail and genoa
• New Gel service batteries
• New start batteries
• New bimini
• New sprayhood
• Systems checks
*** Please note – Updated photos to follow once refit and painting is completed ***
Sparkman & Stephens were naval Architects on a Custom 83 footer that we had delivered in 1987.
When we started to plan a 64 feet serial model we chose Sparkman & Stephens as designer because they possessed both experience and proven ability in designing big sailing yachts.
Our goal was to create a high quality and a high performance yacht that could be used successfully for racing as well as fast, comfortable cruising. Baltic 64 had a moderate IOR hull shape, since she could then also be raced very successfully in the IMS division.
• RCD Status: Our understanding is that the vessel is exempt from the essential requirements of the EU’s RCD as she was first placed into service within EU waters prior to June 1998.
• Balsa core fibreglass sandwich construction to the highest specifications using fibreglass mat, uni-directional roving and mat / roving combination to develop an extremely rigid yet light and well insulated structure.
• All details as per Baltic yachts specifications of the day including special strengthening in high stress areas, special aircraft grade end grain balsa, high grade epoxy resin etc. Vacuum bag technique utilized to control fibre / resin ration.
• Stainless steel chainplates, with backing plates and grounded to keel bolt for lightning protection.
• Mast step fabricated in aluminium alloy bolted to reinforced floors and stringers.
• There are limber holes in the floor frames to allow drainage to the sump.
• Hull topsides painted in Navy Blue Awlgrip - 2023
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Deck is of hand laid up moulded fibreglass with balsa core for stiffening and insulation.
• Appropriate reinforcement incorporated in the area of winches and fittings.
• Deck is bonded to the hull with layers of roving and through bolted to the hull. A hybrid epoxy resin was used in the lamination process.
• Coaming and deck areas painted in white Awlgrip with cream non-skid areas - 2023
• Laid teak deck, including cockpits and aft coamings – overhauled 2023
• Teak toerail.
• Special “cutaway” transom with swimming platform.
Keel & Rudder:
• Fin keel cast to a high accuracy in lead with added antimony and through bolted to the hull.
• Keel modified by Baltic Yachts Italia in 2009 to reduce draft from original 3.35m to 2.90m.
• Cantilivered semi-elliptical balanced spade rudder is moulded from fibreglass and filed with a PVC foam.
• Rudder forces are transmitted to the shaft via internal aluminium alloy space frame.
• The alloy rudder stock passes through roller bearings and a stuffing box with is bonded to the hull.
• Bearings have grease nipples for lubrication.
Engine & gearbox:
• Yanmar 4LH-DTE 4-cylinder turbo-charged diesel engine producing 175hp.
• BPM Marine V drive, model VDB-65
• Hurth gearbox HSW 630 H1
Maintenance & performance:
• Engine hours: approx. 9,600 hours as of Autumn 2023
• Date of last engine service – September 2023
Propulsion & Steering:
• Gori 3 blade feathering propeller with overdrive, 26”.
• Spare 3 blade fixed propeller.
• REYA RY225 24vDC composite tunnel bowthruster – 2010
• Wheel steering with a light weight destroyer type wheel made of stainless steel polished welded construction and with elk-hide cover.
• Baltic made custom pedestal connected with a quadrant by cables and sheaves.
• Emergency tiller in aluminium (stores in cockpit locker).
• 24vDC domestic systems with 220vAC via shore-power, inverter or generator
• 6x 12vDC Victron 220Ah 8D Gel service batteries joined in parallel and series to supply 660Ah @ 24vDC – 2023
• 12vDC engine start battery – 2023
• 12vDC generator battery – 2023
• 2x 12vDC bowthruster batteries joined in parallel and series to supply 24vDC
• Victron Skya TG 24/100 (220v / 24v, 100A) battery charger for service batteries – 2011
• Dedicated battery charger for bowthruster batteries
• Mastervolt 24v 2500W (24v/220v/2500W).
• Westerbeke 10.4 BTD, 220v / 50Hz, 10,4Kw.
• Approx 3,000 hours as of Autumn 2023
• Date of last generator service – September 2023
• 24vDC 40Amp engine-mounted alternator for starting battery
• 24vDC 175Amp engine-mounted alternator for service batteries
• Baltic Yachts custom made with automatic safety circuit breakers. Indication diodes, amp. meters, voltmeters and tank level meters are provided.
• Shore power connection with 32Amp supply
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• 50 litre stainless steel water heater. Heated by engine cooling water or by 220vAC immersion heater element from AC system.
• Water pressure system with outlets in heads and galley.
• Telephone type shower, water faucet for cold and hot pressurised water.
• Deck shower outlets at bow and stern.
• Tecnicomar model SYS 8/1500/MD, 220vAC, approx 236 litres hour.
• Salt-water supply with foot-pumps at galley and to each of the guest wash-basins.
• 2x auto electric bilge pumps with level switch and alarm.
• 2x manual bilge pumps.
• All tanks are Baltic custom made in stainless steel with baffles and inspection covers.
• 1,400 litre fuel capacity in 5x tanks
• Fuel tank gauges
• 1,000 litres water capacity in 3x tanks
• Water tank gauges
• 150 litre an 110 litre capacity black water holding tanks
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• Navigation instruments: Furuno FI-50 system.
• 3 x FI-504 Multi units above the aft companionway to crew area at haft cockpit
• FI-501 wind unit above the aft companionway to crew area at haft cockpit
• FI-503 Multi at chart table
• RD30 repeater at crew cabin
• Radar - Furuno Navnet 1834C-88.
• Chart-plotter – Furuno Navnet GD-1920C. C-Map chart system.
• 2 x LCD 15” monitors at the chart table, and 1 x 10.4” screen at helm,
• Radome 60cm 36nm, on pole at stern.
• AIS receiver: Furuno black box receiver.
• Suunto D-165 compass at helm binnacle.
• Autopilot: Raymarine ST7002 hydraulic, control panel port side by helm.
• GPS: Furuno GP-32 – at chart table.
• Hand held GPS: Garmin 72H
• Navtex Furuno NX-300 – at chart table.
• Marine PC with screens at chart table.
• VHF: ICOM IC-M505 + handset at helm station.
• Hand held VHF: Icom IC-M23
• Force 10 LPG 4 burner stove with gas oven - 2010
• Dishwasher - 2010
• Custom built 120 litre refrigerator plus separate vegetable box.
• Custom built freezer 120 litre capacity.
• 24vDC electrical fridge compressor 2013, located in the engine room, water cooled via coil under water-line.
• Fridge and freezer with drain to galley sink with footpump.
• Stainless double sink unit on centreline.
• 3x Vacuflush 24vDC marine toilets.
• 1x manual marine toilet for crew.
• Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with shower in heads
• Candy Aquamatic, 3.5kg washing machine in forepeak - 2013
Heating & Ventilation:
• Eberspächer D12L system, diesel fired, circulates warm air throughout the yacht, - 2011.
• Hella Turbo interior ventilation fans, nine in total (chart table, cabins, galley, saloon, etc).
• TV flat screen 32’’ Samsung.
• Digital sound system Yamaha YSP-3000.
• Blue Ray Disc Player Sony BDP-S357
• Stereo Sony 52w x4 with I-pod & USB input
• 3G + Wi-Fi station
Summary of Accommodation:
• 2 master cabins, 1 guest, 1 crew + forepeak (9 berths total)
• Joinery work, as with all Baltic Yachts, is to the highest standard.
• All joinery is teak-faced with solid or laminated teak frames and cappings.
• Main structural bulkheads are made of balsa core GRP sandwich construction and teak-faced marine plywood. Other bulkheads are teak-faced ply.
• Visible surfaces are varnished and hand-scrubbed to obtain a satin finish.
• All doors have retaining hooks and swing stops.
• Kick plates on steps and chaffing pieces on sills are provided.
• Berths fitted with canvas lee-cloths.
• Interior hull topsides, where visible are lined with teak battens.
• Locker doors with louvers for ventilation.
• Teak gratings in head areas.
• Moulded GRP shower units and wash-room counter areas.
• Interior cabin sole in laminated teak flooring with satin veneer varnish, refinished in 2011.
• Overhead panels lined with removable panelling.
• Interior saloon upholstery in white leather, renewed in 2010
• Aft, she has a separate crew quarters accessed from aft cockpit: 1 cabin with 2 berths and separate toilet & shower. There is also very good access to the engine room space.
• From the main cockpit the 6 step companionway ladder leads down to the – saloon -
• Large saloon with U shape dining area to port for 8/10 persons around a custom hexagonal teak table, (including two removable chairs that fix at centre-line). Outboard of the sofa are useful lockers and shelves. There is ample stowage under the seating and also under the cabin floor at galley and saloon. Aft of the seating area is a single seat and wet locker outboard.
• To starboard forward in the saloon is a three person settee. Outboard of which are some lockers and a flat screen TV (this was cleverly installed so as to provide useful stowage behind!). Aft of the settee is a drinks locker and stowage for china. There is further drink stowage under the saloon table and glass stowage in a recess in the table top.
• Aft of the settee on starboard side is the navigation area, with chart table and seat for 2, instruments, radios, chart stowage locker in overhead and in desk, drawers, and electric panels.
• Aft from the saloon, on each side, is a doorway to double cabin –
• Two double master cabins amidships, each with 2 lockers, and good stowage, reading lamps and other details. Drawers under the bed. They have good ventilation from the overhead hatch and two port-lights to the cockpit. Extra light from the coaming windows. These are generous cabins.
• Both master cabins feature an ensuite wash-room with marine toilet, wash-basin, stowage, mirror & a separate shower cabin. The wash-room and shower are in moulded GRP units with teak trim
• There are attractive circular teak floor panels to the head and shower areas
• There is a large locker in the wash-room for stowage of towels and other items.
• In the port side cabin there is additional “fold-down” berth. Safe installed in one cabin.
• Forward of the saloon on port side is a twin berth guest cabin with upper/lower berths, hanging locker, stowage outboard of berths and under lower berth, reading lamps, stowage unit aft.
• Forward of the cabin is its own ensuite toilet and shower area (moulded grp wet area, cabinet with mirror doors and teak trim, wash-basin with stowage locker under, hand-held shower unit at wash-basin and overhead fixed shower head, overhead opening hatch).
• Forward of the saloon to starboard a door leads to the galley.
• The fully furnished galley has Corian worktops; stainless double sink unit on centre-line; excellent stowage (including a drainer locker over the sinks) and work areas. Extra fold up teak work top.
• From the galley forward you pass to the “fo’c’sle” area with one pipe-berth, and a large stowage area with washing machine.
• 30m white painted aluminium mast with 4 sets of spreaders. Repainted 2010.
• Tapered aluminium main boom, also repainted 2010.
• Slab reefing system for mainsail.
• Mast steps.
• Navtec s/s rod standing rigging (2010).
• Dynema running rigging (2010).
• Dual running backstays.
• Baby stay.
• Mainsail with an easy stow “stack pack” with lazy-jacks.
• Main with Frederiksen batt car track and cars at mast.
• Boom light over cockpit table.
• Lewmar racing blocks, jammers, mainsheet traveller, and other fittings.
• Reckmann RS 2000-R40 manual furling system for genoa.
• Reckmann RS 2000-R30 manual furling system for staysail.
• Navtec adjusters for backstay, vang, & mainsail flattener – central control panel at aft cockpit.
• Carbon fibre bowsprit, 1m.
• Carbon fibre spinnaker pole painted in white Awlgrip.
• 2x Lewmar 88/3 SEST 3-speed electric self-tailing primary winches
• 2x Lewmar 77/3SST 3-speed manual self-tailing secondary winches
• 2x Lewmar 54/SST 2-speed manual self-tailing reefing/topping lift winches by main companionway
• 1x Lewmar 66/SST 3-speed electric self-tailing halyard mainsheet winch
• 1x Lewmar 44/SST 2-speed manual self-tailing main traveller winch
• 2x Lewmar 66/SST 2-speed electric self-tailing halyard winches by mast
• 2x Lewmar 66/SST 2-speed manual self-tailing halyard winches by mast
• Ullman Sails Dacron fully-battened mainsail – 2023
• Ullman Sails DAcron furling genoa – 2023
• Incidences Sails D4 membrane, Vectran/carbon, 105m2 fully-battened mainsail – 2011
• Incidences Sails D4 membrane, Vectran/carbon, 135m2 furling genoa – 2011
• Incidences Sails white nylon 1.2oz 318.5m2 symmetrical spinnaker with sleeve/sock – 2011
• Russo Sails Dacron 40m2 staysail - 2010
• Custom made stainless steel 800 x 800 forward hatch, new 2010.
• Lewmar deck hatches. All hatches and glass new 2010, (also the mosquito and sun blinds on interior)
• Carbon fibre boarding gangway / passarelle.
• Stainless and teak swimming ladder (removable at swimming platform).
• Side boarding ladder.
• Radar pole on transom, aluminium (repainted 2011), with removable s/s outboard cradle.
• Plain teak cockpit table for 6, s/s supports.
• Fresh water deck shower – located at swim platform and a second outlet at the bow (chain locker) may be used as anchor wash also.
• Gas locker at stern, with gas bottles.
Covers & Canvas:
• Bimini top, stainless steel frame, dark blue for aft cockpit – canvas replaced 2023
• Sun awnings (slide into boom fittings and easily installed), dark blue.
• Cockpit cushions – both cockpits - 2010.
• Winch covers; Wheel cover; Cockpit table cover; liferaft cover – 2010
• Sprayhoods for forward and aft cockpits, 2023
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Quick Rider 3000w electric windlass - 2012
• CQR 100lb anchor (galvanized 2014) with 100m of 12mm galvanised chain - 2013
• Danforth anchor with 10m of 12mm galvanised chain + 100m rode.
• 10 fenders with covers.
• Mooring lines.
• Lewmar stainless cleats x 12. Stainless fairlead fittings.
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Alex Grabau
Tel: +44 (0)1590 673715
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.