September 2019-launched example of the awesome Marc Lombard IMOCA 60-inspired offshore speed machine in full carbon with centreboard, water ballast, easily-managed rig-plan. Available for immediate delivery with full factory warranty.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
** Note LOA including bowsprit is approx 20.50m **
The flagship of the Black Pepper fleet, the Code 2.1 is the result of a design collaboration between Marc Lombard and Armel Tripon (winner of Route de Rhum 2018 and an IMOCA 60 racer) to design an IMOCA 60 inspired offshore speed machine equally at home racing under ORC, IRC, PHFR or CSA as she is to very fast cruising. Constructed in full carbon fibre with Axxon carbon rig, twin rudders, centreboard and water ballast, she is perfectly configured for racing and cruising duties on both sides of the Atlantic.
Completed by the Black Pepper shipyard, and launched in September 2019, BLACK LEGEND 4 is an evolution of the Code 2 from 2016 and boasts a shortened doghouse along with a fantastic 4-cabin plus crew layout. She represents a very rare opportunity to acquire what would almost certainly be the ultimate ARC line-honours boat, as well as fitting very neatly in the middle of the Mini Maxi class.
Specification highlights include:-
• Full carbon construction
• Centreboard keel with 1.70m to 4.60m draft
• 1,500 litre water ballast tanks to port and starboard
• Axxon carbon rig
• Harken winch package with powered winches
• Schenker Zen 30 lph watermaker
• Full NKE instrument package with high frequency GPS
• Ipad wireless system at helm stations
• Iridium satellite and WiFi communications package
• Full North 3Di sail wardrobe
• Tender garage
• 4- cabin, 2-heads interior layout plus crew in forepeak
Offered for sale by her manufacturer, BLACK LEGEND 4 will be recommissioned and warranted upon s
In accordance with the specifications, this sailboat is inspired by the Vendée Globe Imocas, yet she remains a pleasure boat above any gauge obligation. Nevertheless, for me, the chine present on Imocas was essential since it is the most efficient to decrease the main beam while keeping a correct width at the waterline, an asset for stability. The gravity ballasts are only useful for very long reaches and beats. But it could be useful to fill them since they mean losing precious places in corrected time. I should finally specify to those nit-picking about the 250-kg teak deck that this boat is a compromise designed to ensure a maximum pleasure both while racing and cruising. The elegance of this teak, such as the retro deckhouse is based on this art of living and the elegance dear to the shipyard.
Flagship of the Fleet; this beautiful unit is part of the very exclusive spirit of "Codes" by Black Pepper®; inspired by the latest generation hulls - oceanic racers Imoca 60 - it is intended for offshore travel and racing. Its silhouette and its charm result from the alliance of old and modern lines, the original signature of Black Pepper® (dog house, teak deck ...). On board nothing is left to chance: ergonomics, maneuverability, equipment and luxurious materials, living space, cabins, bathrooms, garage annex, cockpit lounge, everything is designed to ensure owners, comfort, safety and autonomy.
Match a spicy, aesthetics-led brand with a gifted designer and the result is this sensationally cool Black Pepper Code 2 60-footer. Although she may not offer the minimalist, go-anywhere prospect of a Django or Pogo, Black Pepper’s latest creation is still a fast lift-keel cruiser. And she has more than her fair share of sheer panache.
Like the smaller yachts in the Black Pepper range, the Code 2 uses a traditional-style doghouse and teak decks juxtaposed with a very modern, beamy hull shape to arresting effect.
The slight reverse sheer appeals particularly – this is fast becoming a signature look for designer Marc Lombard.
Twelve of the original Black Pepper Code 0 daysailers are now sailing and racing, and the all-carbon Code 1 weekender launched last year. This new flagship Code 2 is a 60ft racer-cruiser, “influenced by IMOCA 60 designs,” says Black Pepper’s founder Michel Douville de Fanssu.
Despite her high-end luxury daysailer appearance, Douville de Fanssu thinks clients will be most interested in offshore racing. Presumably their pockets will also be deep enough to include top foulweather kit.
Black Pepper’s range is built in Nantes. The Code 2 is made in carbon epoxy sandwich and will weigh around 10 tonnes. Her 4.6m lifting keel helps provide the deep draught needed to support 410m2 of downwind sail area – plus there is 1,500lt of water ballast each side (the equivalent of having a rugby team on the rail).
Like the other French designs shown here, sheets are led to inboard winches, abaft the cockpit benches. So beamy is the Code 2 in the after sections that the central area between the rudder stocks lifts like the boot of a car to reveal a tender garage below.
Below decks she looks every bit the luxury weekend cruiser, including, notably, three heads.
Toby Hodges – Yachting World – June 2015
“Inspired by Imocas 60, a carbon monohull famous for being the fastest in the world, the new-born of the Black Pepper shipyard is fascinating. Designed for cruising and racing, this elegant sailboat successfully combines vintage and contemporary. But be careful, even in cruising, sailing and performance is on the menu. Proof is she won the first race of Les Voiles de Saint Tropez 2016 in real time with our reporter on board…
…Straight bow, taunt lines, reclining main beam, hard chine, carbon mast... at the first glance, the new-born of the Nantes-based shipyard is straightforward. This Code, the third of the family, is not going to fill the blanks on starting lines, in spite of her vintage touch of elegance, dear to the founders. In this case, a teak deck and cockpit plus a deckhouse as angular as erased. Thirty minutes before the start on this first beautiful day of Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez, the black mainsail and the fat head are hoisted by the electric winch. A touch of comfort unfortunately prohibited during the regatta…
…After four intense hours, the skipper and crew exploded with delight. Closely followed by a Swan, the Code 2 crossed the finish line first. In real time! Thus, shortly after her launch, this first copy of the Marc Lombard plan wins her first race. And reveals in the same time her penchant for speed and sea-keeping performance. But the ambition of this unit inspired by Imoca 60 goes well beyond starting lines, cannon shots and ephemeral laurels. This racer is also a cruising sailboat! As soon as we get back to the port, the unit turns out to be equally brilliant in this area. The Yanmar develops 110 horsepower… More than enough to propel this sailboat, who weighs less than 12 tons at full speed. Backed up by the bow thruster, the Code 2 slips like an eel between the pontoons to finish her race stern to mooring in a berth barely larger than her…
…Beyond the traditional cockpit, we discover under the sun this gigantic aft deck and its two areas: the forward part devoted to leisure with benches and table, the aft one for manoeuvring with its two helm posts and instrument panels. On two consoles stand the halyard and sheet winches located in the benches backrests. Nothing sticks out of the teak, except the essential foot restraints. Even the mainsail traveller is hidden within the floor. Aft, this quarterdeck overlooks the wake and is enclosed by a double-lifeline. It looks down on a fifty centimetres transom that opens up to form a pleasant swim platform.
According to her lucky owner, in cruising, four people can manoeuvre the boat in all conditions. Remember that the electric winches make the task easier...
… The hydraulic retracting keel decreases the draft from 4.60m to 1.70m…
… she is above all practical at sea and offers in addition all the space provided by the hull of an Imoca of nearly eighteen metres long. The offset port side saloon, with its light wood floor, offers a beautiful table surrounded by comfortable leather sofas. On starboard: a large kitchen spreads along the plating. In case of heel, the chef can rely on the backrest of the bench to cook at ease. It also features a handrail to ensure a safe passage to the forward full-beam cabin which accommodates a large double bed, head to bow, a small table with reading light and armchair plus a large Italian shower, insulated by a braided carbon curtain.
A spacious independent toilet completes the picture on starboard. In this marine and luxurious universe, a waterproof canvas wardrobe replaces the cabinet to ensure lightness. Finally, since we are on a real sailboat, the canopies features four hooks for the anti-roll fabric, just in case… The aft cabin on the left of the stairs is more stripped. No floor there, we walk on the hull. The berth along the plating is topped by a suspended bunk while the storage consists in voluminous lockers. Finally, the right of the descent opens onto a beautiful bathroom with shower and wc. An interior layout with a contemporary style, carefully designed for sailing, plus a deck plan elegantly combining the essential with pleasure, breath-taking sails with lines… undoubtedly, this Code 2 will fulfil the wishes of those looking for both the charm of cruising with the gratification of performances…”
Emmanuel de Toma - Yacht Class Magazine – Spring 2017
• CE Certification - A
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Carbon sandwich construction vacuumed infused with epoxy resins and Toray fibres.
• Hull and structures fully surveyed & Control by JM Tabuteau / IMCI
• Metallic grey/black sprayed topsides – Alex Seal marine coats
• Teak laid side decks, coachroof top and cockpit
Keel, Water Ballast System & Rudder:
• Centreboard lifting keel arrangement
• Cast iron fin with lead bulb
• Hydrohem electro-hydraulic pump system for raising and lowering keel
Water Ballast System:
• 2x 1,500 litre water ballast tanks with Sofomarin Sofo Scoop intake valves and Rule electric pump.
• Manual valve for gravity system and evacuation
• Twin carbon fibre rudders with JP3 shafts and bearings
Engine & gearbox:
• Yanmar 4JH4-HTE 4-cylinder diesel engine producing 110hp @ 3,200rpm
• Engine hours – Approx 150 as of Summer 2023
• Engine to be serviced upon recommissioning
• Shaft-drive gearbox
• Fresh¬water cooled engine.
• Spinlock single lever engine control.
Propulsion & Steering:
• Side Power 6kw 24vDC retractable bowthruster
• MaxProp 4-bladed feathering prop
• Shaft drive with p-bracket and PSS-style shaft seal – The shaft is protected by a carbon fibre enclosure bonded to the hull
• Twin wheel steering with carbon steering wheels and custom helm pedestals
• JP3 steering system
• Emergency tiller.
• 24vDC & 12vDC domestic systems with 220vAC via shore-power or inverter
• 1x 80Ah 12vDC sealed engine start battery
• 4x 125Ah 6vDC AGM service batteries joined in parallel and series to supply 125Ah @ 24vDC
• 2x 90Ah 12vDC AGM bowthruster batteries joined in series to supply 90Ah @ 24vDC
• Mastervolt 24vDC/60Amp automatic battery charger for service banks
• Powerline 12vDC automatic battery charger for engine start
• Mastervolt inverter
• 12vDC engine-mounted alternator for start battery
• 75Amp 24vDC engine-mounted alternator for service bank
• 220vDC 16Amp shorepower system with ring main
• Galvanic isolator
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• The hot freshwater circuit is led into a well insulated 40 litres hot water tank, heated by engine or 230v AC immersion heater element.
• Schenker Zen 30 litre per hour watermaker
• 3x electric bilge pumps serving lazarette, engine area, central bilge and forward sail locker
• Manual bilge pump with extendable hose
• 2x electric pumps for shower trays
• Electric bilge pump with extendable hose
• 14x plastic through-hull fittings
• LPG system with 3kg bottle
• 400 litres fuel tank in 1x plastic tank
• 350 litres fresh water capacity in structural tank
• Black water holding tank
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• NKE full system
• Speed, depth and wind transducers
• Adrena – CMAP navigation software
• Win10 marine PC with quad core i7 processor running Adrena and Squid
• 17” screen interface for PC at chart table
• B&G 4G radar scanner – mast-mounted
• B&G AIS receiver
• Raymarine Type-2 autopilot with NKE course computer
• External high-power – frequency GPS antenna
• 2x digital compass systems
• B&G VHF with DSC
• Onboard Wi-Fi hub
• Router for internet – Wi-Fi/GSM/Satellite
• High power Wi-Fi antenna
• Dometic stainless steel gimballed 2-burner gas stove with oven
• Tecmar 24vDC refrigerator with freezer drawer
• Fresh and salt water supplies to galley
• 2x 24vDC electric flush fresh water heads with macerators
• Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with shower in heads
• Indirect LED lighting in all interior spaces
• Fusion Apollo 770 multi-zone sound system with Apple Airplay functionality
Summary of Accommodation:
• Internal carbon sandwich structural furniture, to obtain a low weight construction.
• Just behind, a lazarette which is suitable for a dinghy.
• The interior can accommodate up to 8 guests in two double cabins, and two guest cabins aft; a convertible saloon seating offering further occasional berth, plus separate forepeak with two crew berths.
• Forward cabins have their separate shower and toilet; aft cabins and further have a common bathroom aft to starboard.
• Linear galley on starboard side of saloon
• Chart table aft of saloon area to port
• Large lazarette space with fore/aft tender garage, plus further stowage outboard
• All interior joinery in white/light grey painted laminates with contrasting lacquered carbon
• Main bulkhead, hull innings and heads finished in white
• Wood veneered flooring
• Highest quality upholstery and finishes throughout
• Custom saloon table
• 3 spreader 9/10 fractional deck-stepped rig
• Axxon Composites carbon fibre mast and boom
• Stainless steel rod standing rigging
• Carbon integral bowsprit
• Facnor carbon racing subdeck genoa furler
• Facnor/Sparcraft staysail furler
• Facnor carbon racing code zero furler
• Square-topped mainsail system with 3x reefing points
• Harken sail track system for mainsail
• Soft shackles throughout
• Constrictor cleats
• Block & tackle backstays and vang
• Antal ring system for headsail trimming
• Recessed mainsheet track on cockpit sole sheeting to dedicated mainsheet winches
• Sail area – 220 / 420 sqm
• 2x Harken 3-speed self-tailing electric primary winches
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing electric mainsail/control line winches
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing manual backstay winches
• 1x Harken 2-speed self-tailing winch for tack lines
• North Sails 3Di fully-battened mainsail - 2019
• North Sails 3Di J1 furling genoa – 2019
• North Sails 3Di J2 furling genoa – 2019
• North Sails 3Di J3 furling genoa – 2019
• North Sails 3Di Code 0 masthead – 2019
• North Sail A2 spinnaker – 2019
• Double lifelines.
• Flush deckhead hatches
• Bathing ladder
• Tender garage for up to 3.5m tender
• Goiot flush deckhead hatches
• Custom removable cockpit table
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Concealed anchor mounting beneath bowsprit
• Lewmar 24vDC 1,700w electric anchor windlass
• Delta 30kgs anchor with 75m of 10mm chain
• Fenders – Outil Oceans square x8
Canvas & Cushions:
• Stackpack with lazyjacks
• Cockpit cushions – Sylvertex red
• Cockpit awning
Tender & Outboard:
• Mercury 3.5hp outboard
• Tender stowed in aft garage
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
• Plastimo 6-man liferaft – 2019
• 406Mhz EPIRB
• 10x Deck vest Offshore life vests
• Fire extinguishers
• Smoke alarm
Lying: Ashore, Cogolin, South of France
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Tel: +44 (0)1590 673715
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.