2004 DK YACHTS FARR 520 PERFORMANCE
€169,000 tax paid
Carbon rocketship with fantastic spec
|Manufacturer/Model||DK Yachts Farr 520 Performance|
|Designer||Farr Yacht Designs / Design Unlimited|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Engine||Yanmar 4JH3-CE 56hp|
|Hull Construction||Carbon composite|
|Keel Type||Fin Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||400l|
DescriptionWell maintained and extensively updated high performance custom design carbon composite hulled boat from the legendary Farr Yacht Design, combines exhilarating performance with a comfortable interior.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
GODSPEED with just two owners was originally custom designed based upon the hull for the highly successful Farr 520D for her original Greek owner at an approximate cost of Euro 1.4m with a further EUR 250,000 invested in her extensive sail wardrobe and with which we are told she achieved many very good race results. Now under her second ownership to a professional racing academy for just one year, GODSPEED is sadly having to make way for a new commercial project. With her extensive specification, she would make for either a very competitive race boat or an extremely fast cruising boat. She provides for a surprisingly comfortable interior specification designed by Design Unlimited comprising three double cabins with one en-suite and a further guest/day heads, whilst her saloon provides an excellent space for entertaining or additional sleeping space as required and her linear style galley should ensure everyone is well catered for. In addition to her many performance features such as the design and construction materials used for her hull, deck, carbon mast, boom and bowsprit plus of course, her extensive 20-sail sail wardrobe from a mixture of North and Quantum, she has many features considered useful for cruising as well such as; a watermaker, generator, well equipped galley and air conditioning plus her engine is from the ever-popular Yanmar brand.
“We have had her for just one year and it is a pity to not be keeping her longer. In the last year we have done just one 1,000 mile race to Montenegro, competed in the Rolex Middle Sea Race with a completely amateur crew where although we were leading the ARC racing division for a long time but after breaking our gennaker still finished in 9th place. We finished this year’s Heineken Cup in 2nd place.”
“DK Yachts, situated in Malacca, Malaysia, specialises in building custom high-tech composite racing yachts and is one of only 3 licensed builders for Farr International worldwide, building the Mumm 30, the new Farr® 36 OD, Farr® 40 OD and the Farr® 52 One Design.
DK Yachts was established at Composite Technology City, Malacca, Malaysia in 1997 as a joint venture between German and Malaysian interests. Since that time DK has been steadily establishing itself as one of the world’s best practice boat builders and is fast becoming recognised as a benchmark in quality composite yacht construction.
DK Yachts has one of the most technologically advanced composite manufacturing facilities in the world. The impressive 110,000 sq ft fully airconditioned boatyard contains a multi-cycle computerised spray chamber and curing oven, dedicated laminating room and engineering workshop, plus one of the largest five-axis CNC milling machines in South East Asia to complement its eight station IBM CAD/CAM design system.
CEO Hannes Waimer has an enviable background in composite yacht construction having cofounded "Speedwave" in Germany. Speedwave was a name synonymous with the construction of specialised components for Whitbread / Volvo Around-the-World, America's Cup, Admiral’s Cup and Maxi yachts. Speedwave built such components as carbon fibre / titanium rudders and keels for Admiral’s Cup yachts; the spreaders and rudders for the America's Cup winning 12m yacht Stars and Stripes; and the rudder, keel and steering system for the Whitbread / Volvo Around-the-World yacht UBS Switzerland. From there Speedwave went on to build the ILC 40 Anemos amongst other hightech yachting projects. In fact, during the late eighties and well into the nineties, just about every serious Maxi boat and Admiral’s Cup contender had some degree of "Speedwave" on board.
With this pedigree, the company brought to Malaysia a team of 20 technicians, many of which previously worked at Speedwave, and now work alongside 230 locally employed staff.
DK’s 110,000 square foot manufacturing facility has sold an impressive range of 35 racing yachts ranging from the Mumm 30, Farr® 40 One Design and the Farr® 52 One Design, to a 115ft ocean racing yacht designed by Juan K of Prada America’s Cup fame. Other marine products include moulds for the Victory team’s offshore racing powerboat, moulds for a 50ft Catamaran motorboat designed by Peter van Oosanen built for a Dutch boatyard.
Hannes Waimer says, "Because DK’s concern extends beyond boat building, and is actively involved in architectural and industrial application of composite construction, we are able to have a lot more equipment compared to other boatyards. Add to that our technical prowess, experience in the racing yacht field and ISO 9002 Certification, we are capable of doing some excellent yacht work."
Text taken from the Farr Yacht Design’s Brochure for the boat
Designer’s Summary of the Boat:
“The Farr 520 is developed from the hugely successful Farr 52OD, a boat which has proven to results under IMS, PHRF, IRC and IRM rating systems. These moderate to light displacement flyers have achieved world renowned success – Bear of Britain being overall winner of the America’s Cup Jubilee Regatta.
Now Farr International and DK Yachts have developed a racer/cruiser version of this design using the same hull and foils. This new yacht will be a no-compromise contender in all major handicap ratings which is at the same time comfortably appointed below decks with a beautifully conceived and detailed interior styling by Design Unlimited.”
Text taken from the Farr Yacht Designer’s brochure for the boat.
Her specification highlights include:-
• Carbon and corecell foam composite hull and deck construction.
• Carbon mast.
• Mast Jack with hydraulic pump.
• Carbon boom with stackpack and lazy jacks.
• Carbon retractable bowsprit.
• Carbon Spinnaker pole.
• Hydraulic backstay, vang and outhaul.
• PBO Rigging
• Tuff luff.
• Roller furler headsail.
• Carbon rudder and matching stock.
• Yanmar 56hp diesel engine (serviced annually).
• Extensive 20-sail sail wardrobe.
• Twin carbon wheels.
• A 2-bladed racing propeller.
• A 3-bladed cruising propeller.
• Replaced batteries.
• Renewed B & G electronics.
• Renewed Inmarsat.
• Renewed VHF Radio.
• 3-cabin 2-heads layout (1 an en-suite to the owner’s cabin).
• 3-burner oven and electric ceramic stove.
• Air conditioning.
• Hot water.
• Dual alternators.
• Harken winches & matching twisted pedestal for primary winches.
• Electric anchor windlass.
• Stern bathing shower.
• Tender and outboard motor.
• Two life rafts plus a large amount of other safety equipment.
• Our understanding is that the yacht is built in accordance with CE Boat Category A-ocean.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction/Finish:
• Carbon and epoxy composite.
• Post cured low density ‘Super light’ balsa in high load areas forward Corecell foam: Various densities Epoxy coated.
• Composite structural framework for the rig/keel loads.
• Deck painted with linear polyurethane paint.
• Topsides painted with linear polyurethane paint in a dark grey colour.
• Bottom faired and primed in barrier coat epoxy prior to it being sanded and painted.
• Foils are epoxy coated.
• Two keel viewing windows in hull.
• Propeller viewing window in hull.
• Rudder viewing window in hull.
Keel & Rudder:
• Faired SG iron fin keel and lead bulb.
• Carbon rudder and stock.
• Custom carbon fibre radial drive quadrant.
• Custom rudder bearings upper and lower.
• Custom carbon fibre steering wheels port and starboard 1,120mm diameter.
• Dual steering chain.
Engine & gearbox:
• Yanmar 4JH3-C3 Turbo Diesel engine producing 56 HP on a Yanmar saildrive gearbox.
• 4-cylinder water cooled direct injection.
• Single Morse lever throttle and clutch control.
• Fuel filter and water separator.
Maintenance & Engine Hours:
• Engine hours – approx. 4,600 as of May 2019.
• Last serviced – February 2019.
Propulsion & Steering:
• Twin carbon fibre helming wheels.
• Either a Gori 2-blade folding racing propeller or a Gori 3-blade cruising propeller.
• Aluminium emergency steering tiller.
• 24vDC primary domestic system with 12vDC start circuit and 220v AC via the generator or shore power.
• 2x 12vDC Engine start batteries – One is from 2019.
• 3x Service batteries – November 2018.
• 2x Automatic battery chargers.
• 2x 12vDC engine-mounted alternators, one being 115amps for the service batteries and the other 55amps for the engine start batteries.
• Fisher Panda 4kw 220v generator – December 2018.
Generator hours & Maintenance:
• The seller is unsure of the number of generator hours but it was only new in December 2018.
• Last serviced when installed in December 2018.
• 12vDC sockets.
• 220vAC shore power system with 220vAC ring main and power sockets internally.
• 12-volt DC distribution panel.
• Battery condition meter.
• Circuit breakers of appropriate amperage.
• Amp meter.
• Volt meter.
• Main battery isolator switch.
• ORC approved navigation lights.
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• 12vDC pressure system with pressure pump and accumulator tank.
• Hot water supplied via engine cooling with a calorifier or via 220vAC immersion heater element from shore power.
• Hot & cold pressurised water to galley, heads, shower and stern shower.
• 22 litre hot water tank.
• Flush seacocks on all openings below DWL.
• 1x Manual Whale Gusher 10GPM bilge pump in cockpit.
• 1x Manual Whale Gusher 10GPM bilge pump below the deck.
• 1x 12v DC Electric bilge pump below deck.
• Gas locker in separate drained compartment.
• 1x 350 litre stainless steel fuel tank.
• Deck fill.
• 2x Neoprene 200 litre tanks (400 litres combined).
• 1x holding tank with a bypass valve fitted.
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• B&G Zeus3 chartoplotter – October 2018.
• B&G automatic autopilot; B&G autopilot with remote control – October 2018.
• B&G echosounder – October 2018.
• B&G radar mounted on a carbon mast at the stern – October 2018.
• B&G speed indicator – October 2018.
• Instruments: 5 x Repeaters on mast, 2 x in cockpit and 1 x at chart table – October 2018.
• Vectran Helming compasses with covers (1x at each wheel).
• Inmarsat – October 2018.
• VHF radio – October 2018.
• Handheld VHF radio.
• 16,000 BTW Kilma air conditioning system with outlets in all cabins.
• Double bowl sink with twin taps over.
• 12v Frigo boat refrigeration system.
• 3-Burner oven with electric stove.
• 2x Raritan Crown Head II marine electric flush heads with Lectra/San Treatment system.
• The owner’s en-suite has a shower and wash basin.
• The guest/day heads has a WC and wash basin.
• Radio/CD with BOSE speakers and Bluetooth connection facility.
Summary of Accommodation:
• Aft cockpit layout with three double cabins.
• Owner’s forward cabin with an en-suite heads.
• Further guest/day heads to starboard.
• The en-suite has a shower cubicle, a Raritan Crown Head II electric flush marine WC and wash basin.
• The guest/day heads has a Raritan Crown Head II electric flush marine WC and wash basin.
• White coloured teak and contrasting holly to the cabin sole with non-slip surface.
• Linear style galley to starboard at midships.
• Saloon seating and dining area to portside at midships.
• Navigation area to port side between the saloon area and the entrance to the portside aft cabin.
• 2x Double aft cabins.
• Red and white dome lights for general illumination.
• Dome lights and spotlights throughout.
• Light grey coloured upholstery.
• White colouring to the deckhead, hull sides and bulkheads.
• Grey clear carbon forming the edging and fiddles to the chart table plus other edging strips to the edges of the navigation seat, saloon sofa, dining table, galley worktops and various parts of the owner’s cabin.
Accommodation from Forward:
Owner’s Fore Cabin:
• Central double berth with mattresses covered in a grey coloured upholstery.
• Various clear carbon edging trim.
• Bench seat to starboard.
• Dressing table.
• Tapered shaped ledge to either side of the bed.
• Hanging locker.
• Ventilation/escape hatch.
• Housing tube for the retractable bowsprit.
• Shower cubicle.
• a Raritan Crown Head II electric flush marine WC.
• wash basin inset to a vanity unit.
• Ventilation deck hatch.
• Steps lead down from the companionway.
• Sofa with light grey upholstery to the portside with a dining table with clear carbon edging.
• Cabin superstructure windows to both the starboard and port sides.
• Ledge to the rear of the sofa for storage/display.
• Grab rail running forward to aft on the underside of the port side deck
• Linear style galley positioned to starboard.
• White coloured units comprising cupboards and draws.
• Twin bowl sink with mixer taps over.
• Gimballed stainless steel 3-burner oven with electric stove over and stainless grab rail.
• Contrasting grey and white coloured work tops with clear carbon edging/fiddles.
• Top opening Frigoboat refrigerator inset to the work top.
• Immediately forward of the galley area is a hanging locker.
• Grab rails to the deckhead running forward to aft.
• Located to port between the saloon and portside cabin entrance door.
• Bench seat.
• Chart table with carbon edging strip/fiddle and cupboard under.
• Panels for integrating the recessed electronics.
• Navigation reading light.
• Battery isolator switches.
• Grab rail over.
• a Raritan Crown Head II electric flush marine WC.
• wash basin.
Starboard Aft Cabin:
• Double berth.
• Hanging locker.
• And bench seat.
Portside Aft Cabin:
• Double berth.
• Hanging locker.
• And bench seat.
• Carbon Formula fractionally rigged mast with two sets of swept back spreaders.
• Carbon Formula boom.
• Carbon spinnaker pole.
• Retractable carbon bowsprit.
• PBO rigging - 2009.
• Mast jack with hydraulic pump.
• Navtec hydraulic single backstay, boomvang and outhaul.
• Tuff luff forestay.
• Harken roller forestay furling system.
• All FSE Robline halyards & sheets.
• German mainsheet system.
• Mainsheet traveller - 8:1 led under deck to the trimmer.
• Spinlock clutch XX0812 for centre, main, and wing halyards.
• Spinlock rope clutches for control.
• 2x Harken primary winches 3-speed B64-STA.
• 2x Harken mainsheet 2-speed self-tailing B56-STA.
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing B53-2STA positioned on the cabin roof.
• 1x Harken twisted pedestal positioned in the cockpit connected to operate the primary winches for faster and more efficient winch grinding.
• Mainsail 3DL marathon - 2010.
• Jib 3DL light carbon - 2009.
• Jib 3DL medium carbon - 2009.
• Code 0 fractional - 2006.
• Masthead asymmetrical A1 - 2009.
• Masthead asymmetrical A2 - 2009.
• Masthead asymmetrical A3 - 2010.
• Masthead asymmetrical A4 - 2009.
• Wind Seeker - 2006.
• Jib light carbon/Kevlar - 2006.
• Jib medium carbon/Kevlar - 2006.
• Jib no.3 carbon - 2010.
• Code 0 masthead - 2007.
• Jib top carbon/Kevlar - 2004.
• Stay sail - 2010.
• Fractional spinnaker runner 0.60 - 2004.
• Fractional spinnaker AP 0.70 - 2004.
• Fractional spinnaker reacher 0.90 - 2004.
• Try sail.
• Storm jib. General:
• Two rows of stainless steel guard wires to either side (padded where required), stainless steel stanchions, pushpit and pulpits.
• Triple row of guard wires to the transom.
• 1x foredeck hatch.
• 6x low profile opening port holes.
• Transom shower.
• Transom mounted carbon mast to mount the gimbaled B&G radar and GPS receivers.
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Lofrans 1,000 watt electric anchor windlass.
• Brush Anchors.
• 80m of 10mm anchor chain.
• Mooring warps and fenders.
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Cockpit cushions.
• Mainsail boom stack-pack with lazy jacks.
• 2x Wheel and pedestal covers.
Tender & Outboard:
• 3.80m Mariner Inflatable tender.
• 15hp Mariner outboard.
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
• 1x 6-person life raft.
• 1x 8-person life raft.
• 2x lifebouys mounted on the pushpits.
• Throwing line with lifebuoy mounted on one of the pushpits.
• 12x personal AIS flairs.
• Spinlock lifejackets.
• Safety location chart.
• Medical emergency reference book.
• First Aid kit.
Viewing arrangementsLying Malta
Available to view strictly by appointment.
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment.
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: James McNeil – Grabau International (South Coast)
Tel: +44 (0)7979 907210
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.