1987 IRWIN 52 MK2
€169,000 tax paid
Exceptionally well-built blue water cruiser
|Manufacturer/Model||Irwin 52 Mk2|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Lying||Punta Ala, Italy|
|Keel Type||Fin Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||1500l|
DescriptionExtremely well-built blue water cruising ketch by Irwin Yachts, SIN SATIONS is a great option for those looking for a comfortable ready-to-sail yacht, capable of taking them anywhere in the world.
** Over 100 photos from December 2018 available on request **
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
SIN SATIONS is a very well maintained and extensively updated example of the popular Irwin Yachts 52. SIN SATIONS is now seriously for sale and represents the perfect key for an ocean escape. If you are ready to spend the next year sailing the world that is the right moment for you!
Further specification highlights include:-
• 8 Self tailing winches
• Aft swimming platform electric
• Furling system for all the sails
• 8Kw generator
• Bow thruster
• Center cockpit
• Larger 130hp engine
Irwin Yachts was born from the idea of Ted Irwin to start producing cruising boats starting from his knowledge of fast racing boats.
Ted successfully used the knowledge he gained in building high tech racing boats to build high performance cruising yachts. At any time, Ted, a prolific designer, has had as many as 15 models in production.
Ted incorporated as Irwin Yacht & Marine Corporation and in 1966 moved to the new site of the Irwin factory. The original factory had only 12,500 square feet. It grew to over 75,000 square feet and over two hundred employees.
Ted’s innovative designs blend luxurious accommodations and easy sail handling in a fast hull. The Irwin philosophy was simply to build a good boat for the money - make her stylish and fast - stable and comfortable. Irwin Yachts was the only major yacht manufacturer whose Research and Development Program used international yacht racing to test new designs and construction techniques.
Ted was still fiercely competitive on the racecourse, however pipe berths gave way to air-conditioning and generators. His Irwin 68, Distant Drummer, boasts a full set of racing sails, a 3-speed coffee grinder and an on-deck Jacuzzi. Below deck is the epitome of elegance and convenience with accommodations for 10, yet the yacht can be sailed by 2.
Irwin was proud to have built more cruising sailboats over 50’ than any other boat builder in the world. Over 6,000 yachts have been built. Over 300 Irwin 52, 54, 65, and 68s are sailing around the globe.
The Irwin 52 was a trend- setting boat. It was a deck- saloon cruiser before there were deck-saloon cruisers. What’s more, the Irwin 52, with more than 250 hulls launched, may be the most popular big boat, 50- foot-plus, ever built. These beamy ketch-rigged cruisers offered no apologies for their motoryacht- like interior accommodations, spacious cockpit, wide side decks and raised bulwarks. It boasts of good performance under power as well as sail. Hmm, come to think of it those features sound awfully familiar? When you take a look at many of today’s larger cruising boats, it seems that Ted Irwin was a visionary.
Ironically, the Irwin 52 has a better reputation today, 30 years after it was first introduced, than it did when new. Ted Irwin was an enigma in the industry. He was a designer, builder and world-class sailor, and during the early 1980s, his company was the largest privately owned sailboat firm in the country. He sold a lot of boats, especially big boats. […]
Conclusion. If you are interested in an Irwin 52, don’t apologize. The boat has design features that can only be found in new boats costing many times more. The 52 represents a unique blend of living space and underway performance. It may not be the ideal ocean crossing machine but it sure makes living aboard a lot less painful. With prices ranging from $125,000 to just over $200,000 it is a lot of boat for the buck.
Sailing Magazine - January 2006
• Our understanding is that the yacht is exempt from the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) as she was built and placed into use within the EU prior to 1998.
• Hull constructed of single piece GRP moulding.
• Kegelecell coring from the waterline up
• Red decorative sheerband and boot top bands in gelcoat.
• Laid teak deck on top of GRP deck.
Keel & Rudder:
• Semi-balance skeg hung rudder.
• Rudder blade in GRP.
Engine & gearbox:
• Perkins 130hp
• Single lever Morse type cockpit controls with ignition panel.
Propulsion & Steering:
• 12vDC Bowthruster
• Emergency tiller steering system.
• 12vDC primary domestic system with 12vDC start circuit and 110v/230v AC via shorepower generator
• Engine start batteries
• Domestic bank batteries
Charging / Inverter:
• Battery charger
• Remote control panel and status indicator for charger at nav station
• Kohler 8Kw generator
• 2x engine mounted alternators.
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• Fully pressurised hot and cold water system
• Hot and cold faucets provided in Galley and heads.
• Shower provided in heads.
• Insulated hot water tank, heated from engine or 220V immersion heater element.
• Manual bilge pump
• Electric bilge pumps
• Approx. 1000 litres total fuel capacity
• Approx. 1500 litres tank capacity.
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• Autohelm 6000 autopilot.
• Stowe Marine sounder Display
• Stowe Marine speed Display
• Stowe Marine wind Display
• VHF with DSC
• SSB radio
• Handheld VHF
• Propane stove with oven in the galley
• Double stainless steel sinks with single faucet providing hot and cold water
• Electric marine toilet in heads
• Porcelain wash hand basin with hot and cold faucets.
• Shower stall provided with electric pump out.
• TV wit
Summary of Accommodation:
• Maximum of 6 berths in double cabin forward, master double cabin aft with guest cabin aft portside additional occasional bunks port & starboard in saloon.
• All interior woodwork in light mahogany with a matt silk finish
• Locker doors with rounded edges and larger locker doors louvered for ventilation.
• Floors are varnished wood with inlaid holly stripes
• Fitted, edge bound carpets throughout with press studs to secure.
• Curtains fitted for all skylights and portholes.
• Solid handrails throughout the interior for easy movement offshore
• Deluxe Ting light blue cloth upholstery in accommodation cabins
Description of Accommodation from Forward:
• Two single berths in v-configuration.
• Ample stowage above and below bunks with dresser unit to starboard aft.
• Large deck hatch for ventilation.
• Accessible from the forward cabin
• China sink set into counter top
• Teak sole grating.
• Large mirror
• Electric marine head
• Ventilation via opening hatch
• Saloon with bench seating to portside and L-shaped bench seat to starboard.
• Saloon table with
• Storage provided in lockers overhead, outboard of seating.
• Aft of saloon to starboard in U-shaped configuration.
• Gas galley stove, 2 burner and oven
• Double stainless steel sinks with pressurised water.
• Master cabin central bed with mattress topper.
• Hanging locker on portside forward.
• Stowage above and below berths.
• Marine manual head
• Ketch rig
• Aluminium alloy spars – painted white
• Two sets of inline spreaders on main and mizzen mast
• Low-friction batten cars on main and mizzen
• Stainless steel wire standing rigging
• All winches are from Harken with chrome finish.
• 10x 2 speed self-tailing winches.
• Battened dacron main
• Battened dacron mizzen
• Furling dacron jib
• Furling dacron staysail
• Stainless Steel Davits
• Electric folding swim ladder on transom
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Electric anchor windlass with remote control
• Anchor with chain
• Fenders and warps
Tender & Outboard:
• Johnson 15hp 4-stroke outboard engine
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
Viewing arrangementsLying Punta Ala, Italy.
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Michele Antonini – Grabau International (Italia)
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.