2014 J BOATS J/88
£99,000 tax paid
Massive spec, lightly used, 'as new' J/88!
|Manufacturer/Model||J Boats J/88|
|Designer||J/Boat Design / R Johnstone|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Lying||Lymington, United Kingdom|
|Hull Construction||E-glass sandwich|
|Keel Type||Fin Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||70l|
DescriptionVery lightly used, impeccably well maintained and massive spec J/88 from 2014/15. With over £30k of fitted extras and some very smart North 3Di sails, there is little reason to go new. JESTER is 100% ready to go for the 2018 season.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
With over £30,000 in additional extras JESTER is one of the highest spec J/88’s on the water. Ordered in 2014 and delivered as a 2015 model and hull No.44, JESTER has been used very lightly for fast cruising. With just 70hrs on her Volvo D1-13 inboard engine and very little wear & tear to be seen, she makes for a very tempting alternative to a new build.
In terms of her specification, in addition to standard JESTER comes fitted with the following:-
• Comfort pack including fresh water installation, galley sink, removable saloon table and V-berth platform with cushions
• Saloon and aft berth cushions
• Zip door to forward cabin
• Internal hull pockets
• Webasto diesel-fired hot air cabin heating
• 220vAC shore power and battery charger
• Second AGM battery
• 220vAC inverter
• Rigging plus package including jib in-hauler system, cunningham purchase, side deck padeye and spinnaker sheets storage cam cleat.
• 2 additional opening ports in cockpit
• Aluminium anchor
• B&G Triton electronics package with Zeus 7” plotter and mast-mounted multi-repeaters
• GOFREE Wifi bridge
• Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot
• Fusion multimedia system with cockpit speakers
• Harken through-deck furler
• North 3Di mainsail and jib
• North A2
• Cruising main and jib
Ideal for the club-racer, fast cruiser, family sailor or keen campaign class racer, JESTER is very seriously for sale and priced to suit as her owners now wish to go larger for offshore sailing.
The J/88 was a natural choice for us when we purchased the boat, as she was a fairly unique design as a fast cruiser, unlike many other production cruising boats, but like many J boats she is has found many fans as a race boat. Light weight, easily sailed by two, with superb performance, especially in light winds, and an exceptional planing performance when the wind pipes up. The J/88 is a very rewarding boat to sail and provides instant response and feedback when sailed well. A real sailor’s yacht. She is also a very easy boat to maintain, with no overly complicated systems to look after, and allows you to do more sailing and less maintenance.
Unlike most J/88 owners in the UK, we have had a great time cruising her over the past few years, and she hasn’t been anywhere near a race course! Consequently, she is in excellent condition, and probably the best example in the UK. We certainly wouldn’t be selling the boat if we didn’t now have ambitions to go offshore, as for the sort of sailing we currently do around the Solent and inshore, she is perfect.
The J/88 is not only comfortable and easy to handle, but her sweet balance, effortless speed and comfort will maximize your sailing fun. J/88 truly hits the sweet-spot in J Boat’s new performance sprit range – large enough to provide the creature comforts of a sit-in cockpit, inboard diesel, overnighting interior and head; and small enough to be single-point lifted, owner trailered and stored. Plus, there's no wood on deck, minimum systems, and a simple functional interior so you can maximize sailing time and minimize on-board maintenance.
If sailing is having your cake and eating it too, then the J/88 is like ordering the whole dessert menu. Design highlights include a high-aspect, non-overlapping sail plan (no genoas) with a light weight carbon fiber mast - deck stepped configuration for easy rigging and tuning as well as for keeping the water out and the main cabin dry.
The 6.5 ft fixed keel with molded finish ensures a fair, smooth foil surface with a low vertical center of gravity. This provides a ride that’s every bit as stable and exciting as the J/88’s speedster siblings - fast upwind with amazing fingertip balance on the helm and exciting planing potential downwind in moderate to fresh breezes thanks to the easy to manage masthead asymmetrical spinnaker and retractable carbon J/Sprit.
Since J/88's successful launch and with nearly 100 boats sailing around the world in 2017, the growing J/88 Owner managed one-design class enjoys very close racing in the US and UK, friendly social gatherings for owners and each year more events are being added to the calendar. With maximum crew of six and strict sail limitations, the class rules help to keep costs under control and attracts sailors looking for a simplified one design experience that includes friends and family.
J/88 not only satisfies her owners, but has met with critical acclaim in the boating press, awarded the "Best Boat Under 30 Ft" in SAILING WORLD's Boat of the Year competition, Yachts & Yachting Magazine's Boat of the Year as well as receiving high marks from the SAIL Magazine, Sailing Magazine, Boats.com, Yachting World Magazine and several others who have taken the opportunity to review the boat. J/88 is perfect for offshore racing as well as for one-design and or local beer can races. What's most important is that when all the racing is over, you'll thoroughly enjoy and appreciate J/88 versatility while sharing her forgiving daysailing qualities with all of your family and friends.
“Falling neatly between the J/70 and J/111, the 88 might be labelled midsize if it were an automobile, but no matter what you call it, the J/Boat design and build team found the sweet spot with this 29-foot family daysailer and racer. It's a J, so it's fast and fun to sail in a variety of conditions. Its success is well documented in an auspicious debut in 2014, including second in class in the Chicago-Mackinac race. While it is small enough to be single-point lifted for easy storage and trailering, it is big enough to have an interior that's surprisingly comfortable, with enough elbowroom to extend sailing through the weekend. “.
(John Kretschmer from SAILING Magazine)
• The vessel complies with the European Union Recreational Craft Directive and meets Category B or C requirements for CE Certification
Hull and deck Construction:
• Hull & deck infusion moulded with biaxial and unidirectional E-glass fabrics and balsa core in the hull for rugged durability.
• Corecell foam core in the deck for light weight.
• High density core material and additional glass reinforcements are placed in way of highly loaded hardware and components.
• Moulded internal bulkheads and liners finished with gelcoat, bonded and/or tabbed to the hull and/or deck.
• White gelcoat hull with single boot stripe.
• 10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty.
• Infused GRP moulded structural grid with longitudinal and transverse keel support beams.
• Two additional opening ports in cockpit.
• Open transom for easy access with lightweight ORC transom safety ladder.
• High strength, inward turning and overlapping hull to deck joint bonded with structural adhesive.
• White gelcoat deck with molded non-skid on horizontal deck surfaces.
• Moulded ISO/ORC height foredeck toe-rails on deck.
• Large self-draining cockpit with moulded secure helmsman foot braces in cockpit.
• Single point lifting bar located under centerline bilge access board in main salon.
Keel & Rudder:
• Low VCG fin keel with GRP-skinned stainless steel fin and lead bulb with 3% antimony.
• High aspect transom mounted triaxial E-glass rudder with epoxy foam core.
• Custom SS gudgeon hardware.
Engine & gearbox:
• Volvo Penta D1-13 2-cylinder 13hp diesel engine
• Freshwater cooling system governed by thermostat
• Saildrive gearbox
• Keyless start/stop engine panel and tachometer with alarms and engine hour counter
• Engine gear/throttle control
Service & Maintenance:
• Engine hours – Approx 70 as of February 2018
Propulsion & Steering:
• 2-bladed folding propeller
• Custom moulded E-glass composite tiller in white gelcoat finish.
• Spinlock EA 1200 adjustable tiller extension with handle.
• 12vDC primary domestic system with 12vDC starting circuit and 220v AC via shorepower
• 2x 12vDC 75Ah AGM batteries
• 12vDC 115Ah engine mounted marine alternator
• 220vAC inverter
• 220vAC battery charger
• 2x 220vAC sockets in saloon area
• 220vAC shorepower system with cable and RCD
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• Manual fresh water supply via hand pump
• Whale cockpit operated manual bilge pump operable from the helm position plumbed to transom fitting.
• Whale 12vDC Automatic electric bilge pump with manual override
• Forespar Marelon seacock fittings
• 30 litre fuel capacity
• 70 litres fresh water capacity in 1x flexible tank
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• B&G Zeus 2 7” colour GPS chart plotter in cockpit
• Simrad GoFree WIFI-1 wireless bridge
• 3x B&G Triton multi displays mounted at mast with Scanstrut 3-way mast bracket
• B&G H3000 10/10 HV multi display in cockpit
• B&G wind, speed and depth transducers
• Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot system
• Silva steering compass in cockpit
• B&G V50 VHF with DSC and built-in AIS receiver
• Stainless steel sink with manual fresh handpump fresh water supply
• Manual Jabsco marine toilet
• Webasto Airtop 2000ST diesel-fired hot air cabin heating system
• Twin reading lights in main cabin area plus further light in forward cabin space
• Fusion 600 series AM/FM/iPod/Sirus/MP3 player
• 2x Fusion 200w waterproof speakers in cockpit
Summary of Accommodation:
• Up to 5 berths in forward v-berth cabin area, aft bunk plus saloon settee berths to port and starboard.:
• Moulded main salon liner with full length settee berths, moulded backrests, storage access bin in backrests and below cushions.
• Moulded areas for sink (forward to port) and hinged utility counter (forward to starboard).
• Fabric main salon cushions.
• High-wear cabin sole in main cabin with centerline access to bilge.
• Removable saloon table.
• Aft bunk cushion
• Internal hull pockets
• Moulded V-berth with platform and cushions.
• Zip door to forward V-berth cabin area.
• Low maintenance painted gelcoat finish on all interior hull & deck surfaces.
• Aluminum compression post to transfer mast loads to internal hull structure.
• Carbon fibre mast with double swept spreaders, long masthead crane and mainsail luff track.
• Deck step design and SS tabernacle system.
• Boom with internal 8:1 outhaul, mainsheet attachment points, outhaul and single reef sheaves as well as provision for reef cleat and block at inboard end. Finished in satin black with contrasting white bands.
• Carbon bowsprit with tack ferrule fitting, painted black finish.
• Bow sprit seal system mounted between sprit bearings.
• 1 x 19 compacted strand wire headstay & side rigging with adjustable open-body turnbuckles, and backstay.
• Cockpit operated Harken adjustable jib car and 4:1 in-hauler systems to port and starboard
• 6:1 Mainsheet system leading to ratchet block and cam mounted on centerline swivel cam base aft of traveller.
• 18:1 mainsheet fine-tune adjuster mounted to swivel base cam forward of traveller.
• Adjustable mainsheet traveller with 4:1 control line and cam cleats port and starboard.
• 24:1 Double ended backstay adjuster purchase system leading forward to port and starboard cam cleats.
• Internal bowsprit launching system to exit aft face of the cabin house to cam cleat.
• Harken underdeck headsail furling system with black anodized foil and control line on cabinside mounted cam cleat.
• Spinnaker tack line side mounted rope clutch mounted to starboard on cabin side.
• Spinnaker sheet blocks outboard of primary winches on stanchion bases and aft at stern rail.
• Halyard lead blocks mounted at mast base, halyard organizers and double Antal Vcam rope clutches one per side.
• Rod vang with Harken block & tackle adjustment
• Cunningham purchase system
• Side deck padeye
• Spinnaker sheet storage cam cleat
• IM = 11.79m, ISP = 12.68m, J = 3.44m, P = 11.22m, E = 3.66m
• 2x Harken Performa 36st 2-speed manual self-tailing control line winches
• 2x Harken Performa 2-speed manual self-tailing mainsheet winches adjacent to helms
• North Sails 3Di 760M battened mainsail with Selden mainsail sliders
• North Sails 3Di 760M API-1 Jib – furling or tuff luff
• North Sails A2 – Superkote 75
• North Sails Norlam cruising mainsail – 2016
• North Sails Nordac Radian NDR No.3 furling jib - 2015
• Stainless steel guardwire stanchions with double lifelnes
• Twin stainless steel pushpits at transom corners and custom
• Stainless steel bow rail with 9.5" lower lifeline height
• Lifeline pads
• LED navigation lights
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Foredeck and transom mooring cleats
• Octoplait mooring warps and fender
• Aluminium anchor with shackle and leaded warp
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Mainsail cover
• Cockpit cushions (can also be used as back cushions in the saloon)
• Jib sock
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
Viewing arrangementsLymington, UK
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Alex Grabau
Tel: +44 1590 673715
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.