Form, function and outright performance from the legendary Maxi Dolphin and Luca Brenta. About as Italian as Ferrari or parmesan but with a higher carbon content. Extensively refitted in 2012 and 2022.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Launched in late 2004 as number three in a series of five semi-custom high performance cruisers, MEGA, formerly named CHARIS has been since been extensively refitted. Whilst she is undoubtedly not short in the looks and style department, she is also a highly competitive cruiser racer, scoring 3rd in the Mini-Maxi Worlds in 2010. Currently configured for effortless short-handed fast cruising, she boasts an extremely high specification including:-
• 3-cabin, 3-heads interior layout with additional crew cabin with crew heads forward
• Yanmar 125hp diesel engine
• Retractable bowsprit
• Retractable hydraulic bowthruster
• Retractable hydraulic sternthruster - 2022
• Retractable anchor arm
• Tender garage at stern
• Nordic carbon rig with Park Avenue boom and carbon rigging
• Harken electric and hydraulic winches
• Fully-battened mainsail system with battencars
• Carimat hydraulic sail-handling system and genoa furler
• 24vDC electrics
• 6.5 kw Fischer Panda generator
• Fridge & freezers
• Raymarine instruments package
• Onesails 4T Forte – 2019
MEGA is now under just her second ownership and is back in the market as the owner is ready for his next project.
A 65ft sail yacht, with underwater hull and outside layout featuring modern lines; very comfortable and with high performance.
This is the distinguishing mix of Luca Brenta’s project for Maxi Dolphin; a project which resulted in five yachts with different interior layouts, based on a general scheme of three double cabins, a large living room and the separate quarter for the crew.
For the Maxi Dolphin MD65 by Luca Brenta, the boatyard chose the CoreCell core sandwich construction and epoxy pre-preg composite materials, carbon fibers, glass fiber, kevlar and post-bake in the boatyard's modular oven. The hull is built over a male mould, with the structural elements already inserted, in order to make the mounting of the bulkheads, pre-built on moulds easier. The elements making up the inside compartmentalization, assembled on flexible couplings, were then fitted on the structural elements.
CHARIS is the third sailing yacht of the Maxi Dolphoin semi-custom MD65 by Luca Brenta and was launched in 2004.
The layout of the interiors features very clean lines and the traditional attention to details, the hallmark of Maxi Dolphin production since its first boat; it also shows a new solution for the boat owner cabin, located at prow. Instead of the two low beds on the sides, the boat owner for the Charis took advantage of the possible customization offered by the semi-custom concept.
Therefore Luca Brenta’s studio together with Maxi Dolphin realized a boat owner cabin featuring a double-bed on the left and a practical office-space with writing desk and a desk chair on the starboard side. The layout of the remaining rooms is unchanged, as in the other Maxi Dolphins MD65 by Luca Brenta, with the floor plate made up of teak ‘tiles’, arranged in a contrasting grain pattern.
An absolutely personal solution, which makes the Maxi Dolphin MD65 series by Luca Brenta standing out even more.
From sailing to motor yachts, Luca Brenta’s style is absolutely unmistakable, full of innovation and research, combined with the utmost elegance of lines.
A research dating back to the end of the 70s, when Luca Brenta debutted with a ¼ Ton boat followed, in 1987, by the many times winning one-tonner MARISA. The performances and the qualities of the racers are also found on the cruising yachts by Luca Brenta, whose studio, the Luca Brenta Design, was joined by Lorenzo Argento, the current art director, in 1988. In the same way innovation and elegance of lines are the features of the motor yachts. A series of elements expressed by the slogan of the studio: Technology meets Design. The first cooperation of Luca Brenta Design with Maxi Dolphin is the MD 65, a sloop of very modern design and with light displacement, realized in five models, each one with a different interior layout. The MD65 series is then followed by the TP52 Astro, a racing yacht made of composites, using the most advanced construction technologies.
Utmost elegance, use of the most advanced technologies and of the new project visions in the continuous search for beauty: this is the course followed by Maxi Dolphin since 1987.
"Beauty? It’s something that makes you feel good, therefore something very individual. To me it means order, harmony and sharing. No beautiful thing makes sense if you cannot share it with others". With this vision, along with his passion for the sea, boats and nature, in 1987 Vittorio Moretti created the Maxi Dolphin boatyard.
The first boat built by Maxi Dolphin was the 73ft CARMEN DI BELLAVISTA, designed by Bruce Farr, followed by the maxi 118 ft VIRIELLA, designed by Germán Frers. Two boats built according to that search for innovation, which is the basis of the Moretti Group, operating not only in the boating sector, but also in that of industrialized building , as well as in the top class enological, hotel and catering sectors.
A long number of sailing boats followed CARMEN DI BELLAVISTA and VIRIELLA: standard monotypes (over 300 produced Dolphin 81) and from 75 to 100 ft One-Off sailing boats, the outcome of the cooperation with the main yacht designers.
Roberto Starkel, Germán Frers, Bruce Farr, Luca Brenta Design, Bill Tripp, Finot-Conq are some of the designers for Maxi Dolphin, which in 2007 launched the MD Power: an innovative line of motor yachts, built using the same technologies of sailers and applying the same concept of custom-made, the real hallmark of all Maxi Dolphin boats.
• CE Certification - A
• Hull built on male mould, with SP system SE84 epoxy pre-preg composite materials including carbon, Kevlar and E-glass with Corecell core sandwich
• The hull is post-cured at controlled 85 degrees temperature ensure the stability in time of the laminate.
• Main structural elements are put into place at the time of moulding to ensure easy mounting of the bulkheads, pre-built on moulds.
• Hull spray painted in dark blue – 2012 – 3M vinyl black wrap 2020
• Hull windows in each side of hull with high-thickness glazing.
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Same as hull construction
• Teak laid side decks, cockpit seating & cockpit sole – replaced 2012
• Exposed deck and superstructure areas spray painted. 3M wrapped vinyl cover added in 2020
Keel & Rudder:
• Iron keel with lead bulb, attached to hull with stainless steel bolts.
• Balanced rudder
• Carimat hydraulic sail control system overhauled in 2020 with new pipelines. The whole hydraulic can be manoeuvred from the Raymarine touch screen on the steering columns with back-up
• 2x magic trims controlling genoa
• 1x piston magic trim in the boom for the mainsail
• 1x main genoa halyard
• 1x piston for outhaul
• Hydraulic vang
• Swimming platform
• Genoa furler
Engine & gearbox:
• Yanmar 4JH-DTE 4-cylinder turbo-charge diesel engine producing 125hp
• Engine overhauled - 2020
• Shaft drive gearbox and shaft drive replaced 2020
• Freshwater cooled engine.
• Single lever engine control – new cable 2020
• Engine hours 3000 end of 2022. Approx. 300 hours have been done following overhauling
Propulsion & Steering:
• 3-bladed Gori folding propeller with overdrive
• Max-Power R200 hydraulic retractable bowthruster
• Max-Power R200 hydraulic retractable sternthruster - 2020
• Elica Gori mechanical direct steering system
• Twin wheel steering with carbon wheels and custom carbon helm pedestals - 2012
• Emergency tiller.
• 24vDC domestic systems with additional 12vDC system and 220vAC via shore-power, generator or inverter – electrical system refitted 2012
• 1 x Engine start battery bank – 2020
• 1 x Generator Start Battery – 2020
• 6 x 12v joined in parallel for 24v Service battery bank – 2020
Charging & Inverter:
• Victron energy 12vDC battery charter
• Victron energy 24vDC battery charger
• Victron energy 1,500 watt Inverter
• 12vDC Engine-mounted alternator
• 24vDC secondary alternator for service batteries
• Fischer Panda 6,5kw generator
• Generator overhauled – 2020
• Generator hour 670 end of 2022. Approx. 150 hours have been done following overhauling
• 220v shore power with isolator and circuit breaker
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• The hot freshwater circuit is led into a well-insulated 120litres hot water tank, heated by engine or 230v AC immersion heater element
• Hot water tank replaced 2022
• 24vDC pressure pumps
• Tecnicomar reverse-osmosis watermaker with 90 litres per hour output.
• 7x Electric bilge pumps (2x bow section, 1x crew cabin, 2x main centre area, 1x engine room, 1x aft section) – all of them checked and replaced 2020
• Manual bilge pump
• Electric shower drain pumps – 2022
• Approx. 550 litres fuel capacity in stainless steel tanks – cleaned 2021
• 600 litres fresh water capacity in stainless steel tanks – cleaned 2021
• Blackwater holding tank
• Greywater holding tank
• All pumps replaced
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• 2x Raymarine Axiom 12.1’ multifunction display with charplotters on steering column - 2020
• 4 x 20/20 Raymarine T215 Multifunctional Dual Wireless Maxi Display - 2020
• New touch controls - 2020
• Raytheon ST7001 type-300 24vDC autopilot
• Steering compasses
Aft chart table:
• Raymarine Axiom Pro 15’ multifunction display with charplotter - 2020
• Raymarine Radar - 2020
• Raymarine Ray53 VHF with DSC - 2020
• Raymarine Ray90 remote VHF with DSC - 2020
• Alpes stainless steel cooker with 3x gas burners, 1x electric burner and oven.
• 3x Fridges
• 1x Freezer
• Same compressor of the Air conditioning replaced – 2020
• Electric freshwater heads in guest cabins
• Manual marine heads in crew cabin
• Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with shower in heads
• ClimmaAir 220vAC reverse-cycle air-conditioning system with 6 fan units
• Compressor replaced 2022
• Climma control panel – replaced 2020
• 45” LCD TV in saloon
• Fusion stereo system – 2020
Summary of Accommodation:
• Up to 8 berths plus crew in forward master cabin and two twin aft cabins. 3 guest heads plus further crew heads.
• Interior finishes in teak, painted laminate with vinyl wrap cover (2020) surfaces and stainless steel
• Teak floors – vinyl wrap 2020
• White panelled headlinings
• Upholsteries replaced 2020 (cushions, mattresses and saloon sofas)
Accommodation Layout from Forward:
• Crew cabin in forepeak with single berth.
• Ensuite heads in crew cabin with heads, shower and sink.
• Master cabin heads with laminated furniture. Separate shower cubicle. Electric heads.
• Master cabin with offset double berth to port. Single berth to starboard. Cabinets, counters and two hanging lockers.
• Saloon with settees to port and starboard. Dining table to port with 4x individual chairs.
• Galley aft of saloon area to starboard in L-shaped configuration with twin stainless steel sinks, various drawers, locker and cupboards.
• Chart table area aft of saloon area to port with sideways facing seat and AC/DC panels.
• Twin symmetrical aft cabins with twin beds, hanging lockers, chests of drawers between beds.
• Ensuite heads for both aft cabins with electric heads and dedicated shower cubicles.
• Nordic Spars carbon fibre mast and Park Avenue boom – spars checked 2012
• Fractional rig
• 3-sets of swept-back spreaders
• Carbo-Link carbon composite standing rigging – 2012. Inspected 2022
• Carimat below-deck hydraulic furler for jib
• Carimat hydraulic sail control system controlling genoa, mainsail, genoa halyards, vang and outhaul – overhauled 2020
• Block & tackle backstay adjustment
• Carbon retractable bowsprit for code-sail
• Low-friction mainsail track on mast with battencar system
• Fixed-point mainsheet system
• Lazy jacks with lazy bag
• Running rigging replaced 2020
• I = 24.35m, J = 7.00m, P = 25.55m, E = 9.35m
• White sail area – 244sqm
• 2:1 main halyards
• Hydraulic jib sheet magic trim
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing hydraulic primary winches
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing electric halyard winches at mast
• One Sails 4T Forte Full Batten mainsail – 2019
• One Sails 4T Forte furling jib – 2019
• Gennaker One Sails – 2019
• One Sails Code 0 – 2021
• Double stainless lifelines
• Swimming ladder
• Cockpit table
• Hydraulic drop-down bathing platform giving access to tender garage
• Lopo Lights LED navigation lights - 2012
• Carbon antenna mast at transom
• Composite flush-deckhead hatches - 2012
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Retractable anchor arm
• Reversing 24vDC electric anchor windlass
• Anchor with 12mm chain
• Fenders & warps
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Sprayhood – 2020
• Boom awning – 2020
• Cockpit cushions – 2020
• Aft deck sun-bathing cushions – 2020
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
• 8-person inflatable liferaft
• 6x inflatable life jackets
• 6x lifejackets
• MOB system
Lying Genova, Italy
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Michele Antonini – Grabau International (Italia)
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.