2003 MAXI DOLPHIN MD65
€640,000 tax paid
Hull No.2 of the Brenta designed MD65
|Manufacturer/Model||Maxi Dolphin MD65|
|Designer||Luca Brenta / Maxi Dolphin|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Lying||South of France, France|
|Engine||Yanmar 4JH-LTE 125hp|
|Hull Construction||Carbon Fibre & Epoxy Sandwich|
|Keel Type||Fin Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||600l|
DescriptionForm, function and outright performance from the legendary Maxi Dolphin and Luca Brenta. About as Italian as Ferrari or parmesan, but with a higher carbon content.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Launched in late 2003 as number two in a series of five semi-custom high performance cruisers, KALAO, former MARIPOSA, has been well maintained since her launch. Whilst she is undoubtedly not short in the looks and style department, she is also a highly competitive cruiser racer, as one of the MD65 scoring 3rd in the Mini-Maxi Worlds in 2010. Currently under her third ownership configured for effortless short-handed fast cruising, she boasts an extremely high specification including:-
• 3-cabin, 3-heads interior layout with additional crew cabin with crew heads forward
• Yanmar 125hp diesel engine
• Retractable hydraulic bowthruster
• Retractable anchor arm
• Retractable dedicated mooring winch
• Tender garage at stern
• Nordic carbon rig with Park Avenue boom and carbon rigging
• Harken electric and hydraulic winches
• Fully-battened mainsail system with battencars
• Carimat hydraulic sail-handling system and genoa furler
• 24vDC electrics
• 10kw Fischer Panda generator
• Fridge & freezers
• 20/20’s and marine PC
Mariposa, then TT Mean Machine, now is the second of the Maxi Dolphin semi-custom MD65 series from Luca Brenta and was launched in 2003.
Like for Only Lu, the first of the series, the construction accomplished under the sign of lightness, thanks to the use of state-of-the-art composite materials, the Sprint technology and the male mould allowed to keep the displacement of this 20-meter sailing yacht under 18 tons. The layout of the interiors of the Mariposa features, starting from the prow, the boat owner cabin with two low beds on the sides, the open space living room with dining and lounge area, kitchen and chart table in the middle and, at stern, two cabins with twin beds also with private bathroom as the boat owner cabin.
The twin-bed crew cabin is located at the extreme prow. Under the large space at stern of the two posts of the steersman, there is a large garage which can host a 3.80 meter custom tender. The garage is entered by lifting the stern transom.
From sailing to motor yachts, Luca Brenta’s style is absolutely unmistakable, full of innovation and research, combined with the utmost elegance of lines.
A research dating back to the end of the 70s, when Luca Brenta debutted with a ¼ Ton boat followed, in 1987, by the many times winning one-tonner MARISA. The performances and the qualities of the racers are also found on the cruising yachts by Luca Brenta, whose studio, the Luca Brenta Design, was joined by Lorenzo Argento, the current art director, in 1988. In the same way innovation and elegance of lines are the features of the motor yachts. A series of elements expressed by the slogan of the studio: Technology meets Design. The first cooperation of Luca Brenta Design with Maxi Dolphin is the MD 65, a sloop of very modern design and with light displacement, realized in five models, each one with a different interior layout. The MD65 series is then followed by the TP52 Astro, a racing yacht made of composites, using the most advanced construction technologies.
Utmost elegance, use of the most advanced technologies and of the new project visions in the continuous search for beauty: this is the course followed by Maxi Dolphin since 1987.
"Beauty? It’s something that makes you feel good, therefore something very individual. To me it means order, harmony and sharing. No beautiful thing makes sense if you cannot share it with others". With this vision, along with his passion for the sea, boats and nature, in 1987 Vittorio Moretti created the Maxi Dolphin boatyard.
The first boat built by Maxi Dolphin was the 73ft CARMEN DI BELLAVISTA, designed by Bruce Farr, followed by the maxi 118 ft VIRIELLA, designed by Germán Frers. Two boats built according to that search for innovation, which is the basis of the Moretti Group, operating not only in the boating sector, but also in that of industrialized building , as well as in the top class enological, hotel and catering sectors.
A long number of sailing boats followed CARMEN DI BELLAVISTA and VIRIELLA: standard monotypes (over 300 produced Dolphin 81) and from 75 to 100 ft One-Off sailing boats, the outcome of the cooperation with the main yacht designers.
Roberto Starkel, Germán Frers, Bruce Farr, Luca Brenta Design, Bill Tripp, Finot-Conq are some of the designers for Maxi Dolphin, which in 2007 launched the MD Power: an innovative line of motor yachts, built using the same technologies of sailers and applying the same concept of custom-made, the real hallmark of all Maxi Dolphin boats.
• CE Certification - A
• Hull built on male mould, with SP system SE84 epoxy pre-preg composite materials including carbon, Kevlar and E-glass with Corecell core sandwich
• The hull is post-cured at controlled 85 degrees temperature ensure the stability in time of the laminate.
• Main structural elements are put into place at the time of moulding to ensure easy mounting of the bulkheads, pre-built on moulds.
• Hull spray painted in dark green
• Speedy Carbonium performance antifouling system
• Hull windows in each side of hull with high-thickness glazing.
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Same as hull construction
• Teak laid side decks, cockpit seating & cockpit sole
• Exposed deck and superstructure areas spray painted in white finish.
Keel & Rudder:
• Iron keel with lead bulb, attached to hull with stainless steel bolts.
• Balanced rudder
Engine & gearbox:
• Yanmar 4JH-LTE 4-cylinder turbo-charge diesel engine producing 125hp
• Shaft drive gearbox
• Fresh¬water cooled engine.
• Single lever engine control.
• Engine hours approx. 1500, summer 2019
Propulsion & Steering:
• 3-bladed Gori folding propeller with overdrive
• Max-Power R200 hydraulic retractable bowthruster
• Elica Gori mechanical direct steering system
• Twin wheel steering with carbon wheels and custom carbon helm pedestals
• Emergency tiller.
• 24vDC domestic systems with additional 12vDC system and 220vAC via shore-power, generator or inverter
• 1 x Engine start battery bank
• 1 x Generator Start Battery
• 12 x 12v joined in parallel for 24v Service battery bank
Charging & Inverter:
• 12vDC battery charter
• 24vDC battery charger
• 12vDC Engine-mounted alternator
• 24vDC secondary alternator for service batteries
• Fischer Panda 7,5kw generator
• Generator hour approx. 12 00 hours Summer 2019
• 220v shore power with isolator and circuit breaker
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• The hot freshwater circuit is led into a well-insulated hot water tank, heated by engine or 230v AC immersion heater element
• 24vDC pressure pumps
• Tecnicomar reverse-osmosis watermaker with 90 litres per hour output.
• Electric bilge pumps
• Manual bilge pump
• Electric shower drain pumps
• 600 litres fuel capacity in stainless steel tanks
• 600 litres fresh water capacity in stainless steel tanks
• Blackwater holding tank
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• B&G Hydra wind, depth, speed
• 4 x 20/20 B&G maxi displays at mast
• Raytheon ST7001 type-300 24vDC autopilot
• B&G Halcyon 2000 electronic compass.
• Steering compasses
Aft chart table:
• GPS receiver
• Raytheon RL70CRC 7’’ radar with antenna
• B&G FFD display for the chart table
• Marine PC with LCD screen
• B&G Hercules 2000
• Raymarine Ray230e VHF with DSC
• Alpes stainless steel cooker with 2x gas burners, 1x electric burner and oven.
• Electric freshwater heads in guest cabins
• Manual marine heads in crew cabin
• Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with shower in heads
• ClimmaAir 220vAC reverse-cycle air-conditioning system with 6 fan units
• 20” Sharp LCD TV in saloon
• DVD Player
• Sony component stereo system with 2 units plus sub-woofer
Summary of Accommodation:
• Up to 8 berths plus crew in forward master cabin and two twin aft cabins. 3 guest heads plus further crew heads.
• Interior finishes in teak, painted laminate surfaces and stainless steel
• Teak floors
• White panelled headlinings
Accommodation Layout from Forward:
• Crew cabin in forepeak with single berth.
• Ensuite heads in crew cabin with heads, shower and sink.
• Master cabin heads with laminated furniture. Separate shower cubicle. Electric heads.
• Master cabin with offset double berth to port. Single berth to starboard. Cabinets, counters and two hanging lockers.
• Saloon with settees to port and starboard. Dining table to port with 4x individual chairs.
• Galley aft of saloon area to starboard in L-shaped configuration with twin stainless steel sinks, various drawers, locker and cupboards.
• Chart table area aft of saloon area to port with sideways facing seat and AC/DC panels.
• Twin symmetrical aft cabins with twin beds, hanging lockers, chests of drawers between beds.
• Ensuite heads for both aft cabins with electric heads and dedicated shower cubicles.
• Nordic Spars carbon fibre mast and Park Avenue boom
• Fractional rig
• 3-sets of swept-back spreaders
• Rod standing rigging
• Kevlar backstay
• CARIBONI below-deck hydraulic furler for jib
• CARIBONI hydraulic sail control system controlling genoa, mainsail, genoa halyards
• Block & tackle backstay adjustment
• Carbon retractable bowsprit for code-sail
• Low-friction mainsail track on mast with battencar system
• Fixed-point mainsheet system
• I = 24.35m, J = 7.00m, P = 25.55m, E = 9.35m
• White sail area – 244sqm
• 2:1 main halyards
• Hydraulic jib sheet magic trim
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing hydraulic primary winches
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing electric halyard winches at mast
• QUANTUM cruising main sail
• QUANTUM cruising furling genoa
• North Sails furling genoa – 2005
• North Sails 3DL light genoa racing – 2005
• North Sails 3DL heavy genoa racing – 2005
• North Sails asymmetric spinnaker
• Double stainless lifelines
• Swimming ladder
• Cockpit table
• Hydraulic drop-down bathing platorm giving access to tender garage
• Carbon antenna mast at transom
• Composite flush-deckhead hatches
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Retractable anchor arm
• Reversing 24vDC electric anchor windlass
• Anchor with 12mm chain
• Sanguinetti retractable mooring winch
• Fenders & warps
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Boom awning
• Cockpit cushions
• Aft deck sun-bathing cushions
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
Viewing arrangementsLying South of France
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Michele Antonini – Grabau International (Italia)
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.