1998 MAXI YACHTS 38
€98,000 tax paid
Swedish performance centre cockpit cruiser
|Manufacturer/Model||Maxi Yachts 38|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Engine||Volvo MD22L 50hp|
|Keel Type||Fin Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||400l|
DescriptionA nicely cared for easily handled 2-cabin, 1-heads centre cockpit luxury Scandinavian built & designed cruising boat, having been lightly used by her two caring owners, in-mast furling, roller furling head sail, fixed windscreen, electric anchor windlass & solar panels.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
INES is only under her second ownership since she was launched in 1998 and since we understand, she has spent her life cruising in Greece, where she is current lying. The current owner has her registered under the Belgium Registry and has enjoyed cruising on her for typically five months each year since he purchased her from her original owners in 2008, who were we understand, an elderly couple and who we are told also only used her for private cruising. These Scandinavian built boats combine their high-quality build with fine lines to ensure a safe comfortable passage is achieved and with the 38+ being a centre cockpit design, she also benefits from a lovely spacious aft cabin, further fore cabin and spacious saloon with a L-shaped galley and heads at midships which doubles as an en-suite to the owner’s cabin as well as the day/guest heads. Externally, she has a nicely protected centre cockpit with a fixed windscreen and further sprayhood. INES has had some updates over the years and would make for a perfect couple’s or family’s high-quality cruising boat from this renowned premium Scandinavian brand. With an in-mast furling mainsail and genoa on a roller furler, she is certain to be easily handled by her lucky new owners and is even already located in a lovely part of the world to enjoy its longs summers exploring the endless Greek Islands. With no teak decks and a white coloured hull, these just help to reduce maintenance and allow the owner and their guests to spend more time sailing!
Her specification highlights include:-
• 2-cabin, 1-heads interior layout.
• American cherry wood interior joinery.
• Centre cockpit.
• Fixed windscreen with further sprayhood.
• Anti-osmosis treatment.
• In-mast furling mainsail.
• Roller furler genoa.
• Volvo Penta 50hp diesel engine on a saildrive and 3-blade feathering propeller
• Electric anchor windlass.
• Primary anchor plus two auxiliary anchors.
• Replaced batteries.
• Solar panels.
• Hot water.
• Stove and oven.
• Battery monitor.
• Battery charger.
• LED cabin lighting.
• Stereo with CD & MP3 +iPod connection with speakers.
• Depth sounder.
• GPS chart plotter
• VHF radio.
• Bimini/cockpit tent.
• Transom shower.
• Pushpit seats.
• Tender with outboard motor.
• Life raft with mounting cage.
I purchased the boat from her original owners, who were an elderly couple who only used her for private cruising in Greece, I bought INES in June 2008 and have since lived aboard her for around five months each year cruising in the Greek Islands. I replaced the engine start battery in 2017 and the service batteries in 2018 whilst the bimini was replaced in 2010 and in April 2019, I changed the engine oil and water pump impellor. I have maintained the engine as per Volvo’s recommendations for changing the liquids, belts, impellors, gaskets etc. The oil filter has been changed every two years. Whilst the standing rigging is original, it is as per Maxi Yachts’ standard being oversized. A full anti-osmosis treatment was performed in 2018 with two layers of Glass Fabric/Epoxy resin. The sails are also original but as the boat has only been lightly used for cruising and they have been removed each winter to be stored properly, they are in my opinion, in good condition. The autopilot, VHF radio and Navtex are original to the boat, whilst the Garmin chart plotter and the NASA battery monitor were installed in 2012. There is also a 4-person life raft but this is due a service now. This boat has been very well looked after by her owners from new. The yacht has not been raced or chartered and is presented in excellent condition, the upholstery is in a stain resistant material and is unmarked, everything is very clean including the bilges, you will not find a better Maxi 38+ for sale.
The MAXI YACHTS brand was owned by NIMBUS YACHTS/Sweden for more than a decade. The MAXI 38+ was designed by the famous Swedish Designer Pelle Petterson. This yacht is hull number 42 and was built in Sweden. The Maxi Yachts brand was then sold to Najad and after Najad became insolvent, the brand was then sold to new Polish owners.
• The yacht is we understand built to CE Boat Category A-ocean in accordance with the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD).
• Hull constructed of GRP with a 7-layer Gelshield.
• Hull finished in white coloured gelcoat with grey coloured pinstrip.
• Black coloured waterline and antifouling.
• Grey coloured bumper strip covering the join between the hull and deck.
• Full anti-osmosis treatment performed with two layers of Glass Fabric/Epoxy resin - 2018.
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• White gelcoat with a 7-layer Gelshield.
• GRP bonded non-slip deck (no teak for reduced maintenance).
Keel & Rudder:
• Keel is a fin with a bulb to the base with flattened wing design to the aft end.
• The rudder is of a spade design.
Engine & gearbox:
• Volvo MD22L 4-cylinder, direct injection diesel engine producing approximately 50hp.
• Volvo Penta Sail Drive 120 S-E gearbox.
• freshwater cooled with a tubular heat exchanger with an integral expansion tank.
• Freshwater cooled exhaust manifold and seawater cooled exhaust elbow.
• Single lever gear/throttle control.
• Engine hour counter.
• Engine hours: approx. 2,450 as of May 2019.
• Engine last serviced including the water pump impellor being replaced – April 2019.
• Engine maintained as per Volvo’s recommendations for changing the liquids, belts, impellors, gaskets etc. The oil filter has been changed every two years.
Propulsion & Steering:
• J-Prop 3-bladed feathering propeller.
• Single steering wheel with a leather cover mounted on a steering pedestal.
• 12vDC primary domestic system with 220v AC via shorepower.
• 1x 110Ah Engine start battery – 2017.
• 2x 115Ah Service batteries linked in parallel – 2018.
• NASA BM1 Battery Monitor – 2012.
• 12v Smart battery charger.
• 60Amp 12vDC engine mounted alternator to charge the batteries.
• 2x 80w Solbian solar panels – 2013.
• Shorepower supply with ring main and 220v AC sockets in interior.
• Circuit breakers.
• Voltage regulator with MPTT technology.
• 12vDC pressure system.
• Hot water supplied via engine with approx. 20 litre hot water tank or via 220vAC immersion heater element from shore power.
• Hot & cold pressurised water to galley, heads and shower and transom shower.
• 1x electric bilge pump.
• 2x manual bilge pumps – 1x operated in the cockpit and the other from the heads.
• 1x 200 litre stainless steel diesel tank.
• Fuel level indicator on instrument panel.
• 400 litres freshwater capacity in 2x stainless steel tanks.
• Water level indicator on instrument panel.
• 1x 80 litre holding tank.
• Holding tank level indicator on the instrument panel.
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• Autohelm log at the steering pedestal.
• Autohelm Depth sounder at the steering pedestal.
• Autohelm Wind speed & direction at the steering pedestal.
• Raymarine ST5000 Autopilot at the steering pedestal.
• Garmin 526 GPS chart plotter at the steering pedestal - 2012.
• Inclinometer at the steering pedestal.
• Nav4 Navetex Plus at the chart table.
• Helming compass at the steering pedestal.
• Sailor RT2048 VHF radio at the chart table.
• Stainless steel gimbaled combined gas oven and stove (virtually unused).
• Twin bowl stainless steel sink with mixer tap.
• Top loading refrigerator.
• Manual flush marine heads.
• Separate shower cubicle with shower curtain and an electric pump out.
• Stainless steel wash basin with mixer tap over.
• LED interior lights.
• Navigation lights.
• Kenwood radio CD and MP3 player with iPod able to be connected via USB, speakers in the saloon.
Summary of Accommodation:
• Centre cockpit layout with 2-cabins, plus the saloon and 1-heads with separate shower cubicle doubling as an en-suite to the owner’s aft cabin and a day/guest heads.
• Interior joinery in a varnished American cherry wood.
• Teak and holly to the cabin sole.
• Light blue coloured stain resistant material.
Accommodation Layout from Forward:
Guest Double Fore Cabin:
• Double V-shaped berth.
• Hanging locker.
• Standing space at the entrance.
• Further cupboard space.
• Book shelving.
• White coloured headlining to the deckhead.
• Deck ventilation/escape hatch.
• U-shaped sofa with dining table with an internal bottle store positioned to the starboard side.
• Cupboards and book shelving.
• To the portside are two armchairs with the chart table in between.
• Panel with the boat’s electrics switch panel and gauges for the tanks and ammeter, the VHF radio and Navtex are positioned below.
• Above the chart table is the engine hours counter and the battery monitor.
• Kenwood radio CD and MP3 player and Ipod able to be connected via USB player, speakers.
• Chrome reading lights.
• Schatz brass cased clock, barometer and thermometer mounted to a bulkhead.
• L-shaped with cupboards and draws.
• Worktops with raised fiddles and a removable worktop area over the oven and stove when required.
• Range of louvred doored cupboards.
• Gimbaled stainless steel combined gas oven and stove.
• Top opening refrigerator.
• Twin bowl stainless steel sinks with a mixer tap over.
• Glass holders mounted on to a bulkhead.
• Corner cupboard housing a bottle store.
• Access hatch to the engine compartment.
“Jack and Jill” En-suite/Day/Guest Heads:
• Stainless steel wash basin inset to vanity unit with a cupboard under.
• Stainless steel grabrail to the vanity unit.
• Teak slats to the sole.
• Manual flush marine heads with stainless steel grab rail behind.
• Toilet roll holder and toothbrush holders.
• Separate shower cubicle with a shower head on a adjustable rail and thermostatic temperature valve, a teak slatted seat and matching cover to the sole and a shower curtain.
• Chrome clothes hook.
• Further door to the owner’s cabin.
Owner’s Aft Cabin:
• Double bed to the portside.
• Book shelving and louvre door cupboards.
• Port holes to the cabin superstructure.
• Further transom porthole/escape hatch and one port hole to the cockpit.
• Deck/escape hatch to the cabin superstructure.
• Chrome reading lights.
• 2x Hanging lockers.
• Dressing table with stool and bulkhead mounted mirror.
• Bedside cabinet.
• Sofa/single sea berth to starboard with hinged backrest.
• Access panels to the engine compartment.
• White coloured headlining to the deckhead, cabin superstructure ceiling and cockpit surrounds.
• Return door to the main cabin area.
• Carpet to the cabin sole.
• Anodised aluminium in-mast furling mast with two pairs of swept back spreaders.
• Anodised aluminium boom with a rod vang with an anodised aluminium casing.
• Deck flush Furlex roller furler for the genoa.
• Wire standing rigging.
• Aluminium shroud base covers.
• Mechanically adjustable single back stay.
• Mainsheet connected to the mainsheet track positioned to the aft cabin superstructure.
• Deck mounted genoa sheet tracks and cars.
• 2x sets of 4-jammers to the cabin superstructure either side of the companionway.
• 2x Lewmar 2-speed self-tailing halyard winches to the cabin superstructure either side of the companionway.
• 2x Lewmar 2-speed self-tailing primary winches to the cockpit.
• 2x Lewmar 2-speed self-tailing winches for the mainsheet track.
• Dacron roller furler genoa with a blue coloured ultraviolet strip.
• Dacron in-mast furling mainsail.
(the sails have been removed each winter, placed in dry storage, have only been lightly used for private cruising and are described as being in good condition).
• Stainless steel pushpit incorporating a bowsprit with teak inserts, a double bow roller and teak bow step.
• Anchor locker with twin hinged lids.
• Stainless steel stanchions with matching twin wire guard rails and both port and starboard gates.
• Stainless steel pushpit with aft gate and fishing rod holder.
• Teak folding passarelle with a stainless steel framework and removable handrail.
• Port and starboard pushpit seats with a stainless steel frame and teak slats to the base.
• Stainless steel fender holder to the transom.
• Inox stainless steel life raft holder to the transom.
• Stern bathing platform with stainless steel ladder.
• Large aft lazarette providing excellent storage space.
• Portside storage locker for more useful storage space.
• Transom hot and cold shower.
• Fixed windscreen with curved tempered glass and an aluminium frame with a further stainless steel spray hood framework over.
• Stainless steel bimini framework.
• Halyard bags to either side of the companionway.
Anchoring & Mooring:
• 1,000w Electric anchor windlass.
• Bugel stainless steel anchor.
• 2x auxiliary anchors.
• 60m of stainless steel 8mm anchor chain.
• Stainless steel mooring cleats.
• Mooring lines and fenders.
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Bimini - 2010.
• Cockpit tent.
• Cockpit cushions.
• Cover for companionway entrance.
• Steering wheel cover.
• Covers for all hatches.
• Covers for all the winches.
• 4-Person inflatable tender with a 2.4hp Honda outboard motor.
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
Life Saving Equipment:
• 4-person life raft.
• Life jackets.
• 2x Horseshoe lifebuoys.
Viewing arrangementsLying Kos, Greece
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: James McNeil – Grabau International (South Coast)
Tel: +44 (0)7979 907210
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.