1983 NEWPORT OFFSHORE SHIPYARD FRERS 59 ALLOY CUSTOM
€145,000 tax paid
Legendary alloy racer refitted for ocean cruising
|Manufacturer/Model||Newport Offshore Shipyard Frers 59 Alloy Custom|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Engine||Perkins Sabre 120hp|
|Keel Type||Fin Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||1000l|
DescriptionBeautiful aluminium one-off from German Frers with benefit of comprehensive recent refit. TEMPTATION offers a fantastic opportunity to own a piece of yachting art with a great pedigree.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
TEMPTATION is a very famous German Frers designed Maxi IOR racing design, built in aluminium now offered for sale in great condition and with a fantastic specification. Following an exceptional late 80’s and early 90’s racing career including winning the Maxi Yacht Worlds and the Nioularge Regatta on no less than three occasions under the name ‘RROSE SELAVY’, TEMPTATION was extensively refitted in 2009/2010, the highlights included:
• Mast and boom dismantled and repainted with Awl-Grip.
• Rod rigging checked with ultrasound.
• Hull, deck and keel join ultrasound.
• All the deck equipment dismantled and serviced.
• New hatches plexiglass.
• New electric cables in the mast.
• New Awl-Grip hull paint.
• Steering wheel serviced.
• Must jack serviced.
• New bilge paint with epoxy.
• Generator and engine serviced.
• Navtec hydraulic equipment serviced.
• New carbon fibre bowsprit.
TEMPTATION was built in 1983 at the behest of the New York Yacht Club Commodore, John Santry Jr, who entrusted the design of his race boat to a then young and determined German Frers. His design brief to Frers was to create a small Maxi IOR able to win all the races under the IOR rating with the strength, rigidity and sea-manners to easily cross the Atlantic on her own bottom.
A special aluminium alloy (DAA 72722) was chosen as the construction material as it was guaranteed to offer the best compromise between lightness and rigidity, and also because John Santry was the owner of one of the foremost aeronautical design studios of the time, and therefore able to apply its deep knowledge in the structural calculations of the project giving it a strength without equal and the correct distribution of weights and dynamic loads.
Having chosen the best designer of the time and the best construction material, the next step was to choose the best builder, and this task fell to the Newport Offshore Shipyard, former creator of the Defender of the America's Cup and very skilled in working with aluminium construction.
The end result exceeding all expectations. TEMPTATION was blisteringly fast at all speeds, had a favourable rating under IOR, and her exceptional seaworthiness allowed her to beat in real time much larger boats when the sea conditions were rough. For the following three seasons TEMPTATION dominated all the regattas on the east coast of the United States, and then, after crossing the Atlantic, she entered the legendary Fastnet Race where she stole the heart of Italian shipowner Riccardo Bonadeo.
According to legend, conquered by such beauty and speed, Riccardo Bonadeo simply handed the now satisfied John Santry a blank cheque. Having secured her ownership, Riccardo Bonadeo renamed TEMPTATION with the family name ‘RROSE SELAVY’ and went on to score a magnificent series of important victories including:-
• August 1988 - Porto Cervo - Maxi Yacht World Championship. 1° place.
• September 1988 - St. Tropez: - Nioularge. 1° place Overall, plus 1° in her class.
• May 1989 - Portofino - Trofeo Ermenegildo Zegna.
• June 1989 - Porto Cervo - Settimana delle Bocche, Trofeo Navarma Lines – 11° place Overall, plus 1° in her class.
• September 1989 - St. Tropez - Nioularge - 1° place Overall, plus 1° in her class.
• May 1990 - Porto Cervo - Settimana delle Bocche - 1° place Overall, plus 1° in her class.
• December 1990 – Ocean Crossing (Portofino - Barbados).
• April 1991 - Antigua Sailing Week.
• March 1992 - Portofino - trofeo Ermenegildo Zegna - 1° place Overall, plus 1° in her class.
• August 1992 - Palma de Maiorca - 1° in her class.
• October 1993 - St. Topez - Nioularge - 1° place Overall, plus 1° in her class.
With the advent of the IMS racing rule, RROSE SELAVY ended her absolute racing dominance. With her name changed by to TEMPTATION she was entrusted to the skilled workers of the Cantiere dell'Argentario and with the collaboration of Wally Yacht, this glorious ocean greyhound evolved into a stylish and practical, fast and fun performance cruising yacht. Her interiors were remodelled to create a light and airy ‘New England’ style, complete with numerous comfort upgrades including generator, watermaker etc etc. On deck, her equipment layout was simplified to allow for easy sailing with a crew of just two. Once again, TEMPTATION excelled in her new role and following her recent refit, she is now ready to go racing or cruising in absolute comfort, safety and style.
• RCD Status: Our understanding is that the yacht is exempt from the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) as she was built and placed into use within the EU prior to 1998.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Aluminium alloy DAA 72722
• Topsides sprayed in Awl Grip white paint – repainted 2009/2010.
• Hull Awl Grip blue paint – repainted 2009/2010.
Keel & Rudder:
• Keel with steel fin.
Engine & gearbox:
• Perkins Sabre 6 cylinders naturally inspired producing 120hp
• Freshwater cooling engine cooling
• Hydraulic gearbox
• Single lever electronic throttle control
Service & Maintenance:
• Engine hours – approx. 7000 as of October 2018
• Engine serviced – 2017
Propulsion & Steering:
• Max Prop propeller three blades.
• Titanium steering wheel.
• Lightweight aluminium steering quadrant bolted to rudder stock.
• 12vDC primary domestic system with 12vDC starting circuit and 220v AC via shorepower or Generator.
• 4x 24vDC 90Ah Mastervolt service battery bank with – 2010
• 1x 12vDC engine start battery – 100Ah – 2017
• 1x 12vDC generator start battery - 100Ah – 2011
• Automatic battery charger for service batteries.
• Mase 2,5kw 220vAC generator
• Generator now under a full serviced program
• 12vDC alternator engine mounted
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• 12vDC pressurised fresh water system
• Hot water supplied by engine-driven calorifier and 220vAC immersion heater element in well-insulated 80 litres hot water tank.
• Water maker with a production of 90l/h.
• Electric bilge pump system divided into areas: sail locker, lazarette (2x pumps), saloon area and engine room.
• 1 x manual bilge pump in cockpit
• 600 litres total fuel capacity in two aluminium tanks plus two stainless steel tanks.
• 1000 litres total fresh water capacity in two aluminium tanks plus two stainless steel tanks.
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• B&G original navigation instruments.
• GPS chartplotter
• Refrigerator: 2 x Refrigerators in galley.
• Stove: Alpe inox four-burner (gas)
• Alpe Inox oven, stainless steel front. (gas )
• 1 Guest head and 1 master head
• Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with showers
Summary of Accommodation:
• Up to 12 berths in 3 cabins
• “Herrenshoff” style
• Light wood interior joinery with sandwich construction
• Light wood floors
• Red Alcantara upholstery
• Master stateroom aft with double bed at side.
• Ensuite bathroom with shower.
• Mid-cabin pullman berths on both sides
• Crew cabin in bow locker with two bunk berths and heads.
• Galley starboard opposite chart table.
• Saloon with U shaped settee and front bench to encompass the dining table
• Forward facing chart table
• Spar built by Sparcraft. Faired and painted white.
• Three spreader rig with discontinuous rod-rigging.
• Spectra sheets
• Hydraulic for vang, backstay, main base with in boom.
• Baby stay
• All winches are from Barient.
• 2x primary coffee grinders with two pedestals.
• 2x coffee grinders with one pedestal.
• 2x main winches.
• 2x runners winches.
• 2x mainsheet traveller.
• 7x at the mast base.
• 1x racing Carbon fibre 140% jib - 2010
• 1x racing carbon fibre main – 2010
• 1x furling Code0.
• 1x 140% furling Genoa.
• 1x full batten main – very old
• 1x staysail.
• Carbon fibre Passarelle very lightweight.
• Cockpit table
Anchoring & Mooring:
• The Lewmar vertical 1500 electrical windlass is recessed in the fore deck.
• 25 kg CQR Anchor
• 100 m 10 mm high-tensile anchor chain
• Fenders and warps
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
Viewing arrangementsLying: Viareggio, Italy
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Michele Antonini – Grabau International (Italia)
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.