Farr designed composite milestone yacht Southern Wind in S.Africa. Timeless design with a great interior layout, BLUE WING is the perfect combination for blue water adventures or effortless summer sailing.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
BLUE WING is hull No.1 of the Southern Wind 72. Design No.225 from Farr Yacht Design, the SWS72 went on to become one of the most successful mini-series design from the Cape Town producer of world-leading maxi sailing yachts. With 10 hulls launched, the SWS 72 is an extremely well-conceived ocean cruiser with the benefit of a fantastic interior by Antonio Minniti.
BLUE WING has a comfortable centre cockpit with easy access to all the manoeuvres while guests can enjoy the aft sunbathing area.
BLUE WING boosts many highlights including:
• Aft full beam owner’s cabin
• Volvo Penta engine – overhauled 2022
• Engine room with access from outside
• Carbon fibre mast
• Rod standing rigging
• Teak deck – 2012
• Blue hull - 2012
• 120 litres/hour Watermaker
• Led lights
• Air conditioning
• 3,20m tender with 25hp outboard engine
Southern Wind Shipyard yachts are synonymous with contemporary Italian design and elegance. These unique and stylish attributes are combined with traditional South African craftsmanship, performance and comfort.
Southern Wind Shipyard was founded in 1991 by Italian entrepreneur Willy Persico. Located in the beautiful city of Cape Town, South Africa – known affectionately as the mother city – the shipyard specialises in high-performance composite sailing yachts from 25 to 35 metres, designed for both relaxed cruising and high-octane sailing.
Over the past 25 years, Southern Wind Shipyard has developed a solid reputation as a reliable and reputable shipyard. Experience and client trust are core values that the company continues to uphold.
Southern Wind Shipyard (SWS) combines cutting-edge technology with five centuries of South African naval craftsmanship. High-tech and comprehensive, the shipyard is fully equipped to produce all elements of superyacht construction under one roof.
Light-to-medium displacement yachts are designed to excel in all conditions. Whether battling the elements, sailing in a light breeze or competing in a regatta, the yacht’s performance remains steadfast, while wide deck spaces and warm interiors ensure comfort on board is never compromised.
The character and functionality of all SWS yachts are a reflection of the company’s unique Italian design and reputation for style and innovation. Each yacht embodies a timeless elegance, simplicity and understated luxury synonymous with Italian design.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Our understanding is that the yacht is exempt from CE Confirmity as she was in use in the EEA prior to June 1998.
Keel & Rudder:
• Fin keel with lead bulb, attached to hull with stainless steel bolts.
• Lead bulb approx. 10 tons with 3% antimony content
• The spade rudder is constructed from e-glass fibre with closed cell polyurethane foam core. Stainless steel rudder stock, mounted on two self-aligning bearings from Solimar.
• JP3 Bearings system
• Stainless steel reinforcer hull grid
• The whole design has been engineered by SP System Technologies
Engine & gearbox:
• Volo Penta Ad41P-A 6-cylinders diesel engine producing 200h @
• Engine hours approx. – zero hours overhauled 2022
• Shaft drive gearbox
• Freshwater cooled engine.
• Racor fuel/water separator
• 9knots cruising / 10knots maximum speed under power
Propulsion & Steering:
• 3-bladed Max-Prop feathering propeller
• Wheel steering and custom helm pedestals
• Emergency tiller.
• Hydraulic autopilot actuator
• 24vDC domestic systems and 220vAC via shore-power, generator or inverter
• 12vDC engine, generator and navigation system
• 2x Engine start batteries – 2012
• Generator Start Battery bank
• 12x Service battery bank for 700Amp – 2019
• 2x 12vDC navigation batteries
Charging & Inverter:
• Mastervolt Mass 24/50 battery charger navigation
• Mastervolt Mass 24/2500 battery charger services
• Mastervolt 24vDC 2500w inverter
• 24vDC alternator for service batteries
• 12vDC alternator for engine start batteries
• Fisher Panda 14KW diesel generator
• Generator hours – approx. 50 hours
• Yearly serviced, last serviced 2022
• 100Amp 220v shore power with isolator and circuit breaker
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• The hot freshwater circuit is led into 60 litre well-insulated hot water tanks, heated by engine or 230v AC immersion heater elements
• 24vDC pressure pumps
• Discharge shower pumps in two grey water tanks with auto discharge
• Tecnicomar 120lph 220vAC watermaker
• Electric bilge pumps
• Manual bilge pump
• Approx. 1700 litres fuel capacity in 4x stainless steel tanks,
• Day tank for the generator
• Transfer fuel pump with spare one
• All tanks cleaned 2022
• Approx. 2000 litres fresh water capacity in 4x stainless steel tanks
• All tanks cleaned 2022
• 2x greywater holding tanks
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
At the nav station:
• Rayteon R20X scan array radar
• Raymarine GPS
• Raymarine autohelm autopilot
• B&G Hydra 2000 20/20 display
• B&G Vulcan 9’ chartplotter
In the cockpit:
• B&G Hydra 2000 Helmstar 740
• B&G Hydra 2 20/20 display
• B&G Triton2 display
• Icom IC-M800 MRC VHF
• Cobra Marine VHF with DSC
• 3-burner gimballed gas stove with oven
• Combination microwave
• Front opening refrigerator
• Top opening freezer
• 2x water cooled fridge compressors
• Fridges are working with 220vDC
• Electric freshwater heads in guest cabins
• Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with shower in heads
• Central 220vAC reverse-cycle air-conditioning system for the main cabin and saloon
Summary of Accommodation:
• BLUE WING offers accommodation for up to nine guests.
• She has an Owner’s Master cabin aft with dedicated heads and shower box
• The VIP cabin has a double bed and to forward there are two further twin bed guest cabins.
• All of the cabins have their own ensuite bathrooms.
• There is also a galley, chart area and swim platform.
• The galley has a dedicated access to the saloon.
• 24vDC fridge in the saloon
• Spare fridge in the aft looker
• Washing machine in the aft locker
• Starboard side nav station
• Centre engine room with easy access from the cockpit and from the starboard corridor
• Rondal alloy fibre mast – painted 2018
• Alloy white painted boom
• Rod rigging – replaced 2012
• Running backstays
• Carbon fibre spinnaker pole
• Sail area upwind 248sqm
• Sail plan:
• I = 24,40m
• J = 7,90m
• P = 23,80m
• E = 8,10m
• Mast jack
• Navtec hydraulic for backstay and vang
• 2x Lewmar 700 2 speed self-tailing powered primary winches
• 5x Lewmar 650 2 speed self-tailing winches – 1 powered for halyards
• 2x Lewmar 2 speed self-tailing main track winches
• 1x Lewmar 2 speed self-tailing powered main winch
• Doyle Vectram Full batten main sail - 2012
• Doyle Vectram Furling genoa – 2012 – serviceable
• 2x symmetric spinnaker
• 1x asymmetric gennaker with snuffer
• Double stainless lifelines
• Swimming ladder
• Cockpit table
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Lofrans 2,500Watt anchor windlass
• Delta anchor with approx. 120m chain
• Spare anchor
• Fenders & warps
• Stainless steel cleats
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Bimini – 2021
• Wheel covers
• Winches covers
Tender and outboard:
• Zodiac tender 3,20m
• 25hp outboard engine
• 6hp outboard engine
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
Lying Gaeta, Italy
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Michele Antonini – Grabau International (Italia)
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.