1971 STORNOWAY 70 MK2 STEEL KETCH
€170,000 tax paid
Go-anywhere steel hulled cutter rig ketch
|Manufacturer/Model||Stornoway 70 Mk2 Steel Ketch|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Engine||Perkins 6354 - 128hp|
|Keel Type||Long Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||3000l|
DescriptionGo-anywhere steel hulled cutter rig ketch providing a safe, comfortable accommodation for family, friends or skippered charters.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Originally created by the John Perry Marine Yard in Rochester, Kent for Elizbeth Taylor’s “Harley Street Man,” GRAND ATALAYA with her easily handled ketch rig cutter sail plan, is a wonderful comfortable live aboard cruising yacht or equally, a highly successful skippered charter yacht as she has been used most recently.
With her bright and airy raised saloon and navigation area providing fantastic outward visibility through large windows, and spacious and well-protected raised cockpit area, she offers wonderful entertaining spaces for all weathers.
Her traditionally crafted interior provides for comfortable accommodation with the owner’s suite located to the stern. The remainder of the accommodation, in addition to the raised saloon comprises; a guest heads, ample sleeping cabins comprising a single cabin to port, which could be the owners’ sea berth. Forward of the saloon to starboard is the excellent separate galley perfectly set out for catering for large numbers of guests. To the portside at mid-ships is a twin cabin, whilst forward of that there is a guest/crew heads and finally, the fore cabin provides for three further single berths.
Her specification highlights include:
• Repainted steel hull - 2017
• Replaced engine batteries.
• Replaced standing rigging.
• Replaced sails annually checked by sailmakers.
• Replaced teak to the decks, cabin roof and raised cockpit/poop deck - 2009
• Air conditioning, heating and electric ventilation fans to all cabins.
• 128hp Perkins diesel engine on a shaft drive.
• Diesel generator
• Wind generator and solar panels
• Radar and chart plotter.
• Extending passarelle.
• Cockpit bimini and sprayhood.
• Tender davits.
• 2x inflatable tenders, each with an outboard motor.
Already located in one of the perfect cruising grounds, whether for private or charter use, we are told she is ready to go for many more years of adventures with her next lucky custodians.
LOA = 22m excluding davits
LOD = 19.86m
LWL = approx 17.25m
“The boat was built in 1971 by John Perry Marine Ltd. (Rochester - Kent). It was order by the Surgeon of Elisabeth Taylor. He used it during several years for sailing around the world. After that he chartered it to a British couple who use it for around 20 years for charter around the Med., especially in Turkey ("It was the best sailing charter yacht in the Eastern Mediterranean for many years"). The couple stopped chartering and they return to England I then purchased the yacht (I am still in contact with the couple).
When I purchased her in 2010 she was lying in La Manga del Mar Menor (Murcia, Spain). I carried out some renovations to the boat before continuing to offer skippered charters in the Balearic Islands and in 2015 GRAND ATALAYA was the first water activity recommended by Trip Advisor in Mallorca. Having now chartered the boat for a number of years, with the birth of my daughter, I have now decided that I do not have time to charter the boat and therefore, I have decided to sell her.
• RCD Status: Our understanding is that the yacht is exempt from the Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) as she was first placed into use prior to 16th June 1998.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• Steel hull and superstructure.
• Hull topsides were repainted - September 2017.
• Replaced teak covering to the; deck, raised cockpit/poop deck and raised saloon roof – 2009.
• Teak toe rail.
• Walk out bow sprit.
Keel & Rudder:
• Keel hung rudder with wheel steering.
• Long fin keel.
Engine & gearbox:
• Perkins 6354 normally aspirated 6-cylinder diesel engine producing 128hp (130cv) @2,800rpm.
• Cruise speed – 6 knots, maximum speed - 10 knots (subject to sea conditions & having clean antifouling).
• Fresh water cooling.
• Shaft drive.
Propulsion & Steering:
• Wooden steering wheel in the raised cockpit.
• 3-bladed fixed propeller.
• 24vDC & 12vDC domestic systems with 220v AC via generator, inverter/charger or shore power.
• 4x 12v AGM 240Amp service batteries – 2017
• 2x 12v Movilbat generator batteries (are due to be changed, subject to the price paid for the boat).
• 2x FIAMM engine start batteries – 2015.
Charging & Inverter:
• MasterPower Inverter/charger – 2017.
• Onan 12.0 generator.
• 12vDC engine-mounted alternator.
• 1x solar panel mounted on a hoop at the stern.
• Wind generator mounted on the stainless-steel hoop at the stern.
• Circuit breakers for all individual circuits.
• 220vAC shorepower connection with 220vAC sockets.
• 12vDC sockets.
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• 24vDC pressurised system.
• Stainless-steel hot water tank with engine calorifier and immersion heater.
• There is a water maker on board but it has never been used or installed.
• 1x Main electric bilge pump – 2018.
• 2x Electric bilge pumps.
• 1x manual bilge pump.
Heating, Air Conditioning & Ventilation:
• Reverse cycle air conditioning with 4x units.
• Replaced water pump – 2018.
• Electric fans to all cabins.
• 2x 770 litre fuel tanks.
• 3,000 litre total capacity.
• 2x 220 litre black water holding tanks.
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• Garmin GPS chart plotter at the helm position.
• Depth sounder.
• Auto pilot.
• Wind speed & direction.
• Helming compass.
• VHF radio.
• SSB radio.
• Gimbaled combined oven and 4-burner stove.
• Twin bowl stainless steel sinks with a mixer tap.
• Coffee machine.
• Washing machine.
• An additional externally positioned fridge.
• Manual marine flush heads with holding tanks.
• Hot & cold pressurised shower in Owner’s En-Suite, Mid-Ships Heads and Guest/Crew Forward Heads.
• Electric fans in all cabins
• Deckhead or reading lights throughout the boat.
• TV in the saloon.
• Stereo system with speakers in the saloon.
• Cockpit speakers.
Summary of Accommodation:
• Accommodates up to 10 in 4-cabins plus additional sleeping space in the raised saloon.
• Large owner’s cabin to aft comprising a seating area with two sofas and a separate sleeping area with a double bed accessed via an arched shaped opening.
• Owner’s en-suite heads.
• Skipper’s cabin/sea berth comprising a single berth.
• Guest/day heads.
• Raised saloon and navigation area with sofas to port and starboard.
• Large separate galley at mid-ships on the starboard side.
• Mid-ships portside guest/crew twin cabin with bunk berths.
• Forward crew/guest heads.
• Forward crew/guest cabin with two pairs of single bunk berths.
• Interior joinery is of traditional high quality wood veneers and white coloured deckheads.
• Soleboards have carpeting to; the sleeping cabins, raised saloon area and corridors. Vinyl to the galley.
• Cloth upholstery throughout
• Mattresses to the sleeping berths
• Ketch rig cutter.
• Painted aluminium main and mizzen masts with matching booms.
• The main mast has a spinnaker pole track to the front of it, a twin pair of spreaders whilst the mizzen mast has a single pair of spreaders and there is a triatic stay running between the two mast heads.
• Twin headsails both with manual roller furlers.
• The self-tacking staysail has a boom.
• Mast steps to both the main and mizzen masts.
• Replaced wire standing rigging – 2010.
• In-mast furling for the mizzen mast, which also has a vang with a hydraulic ram and block and tackle.
• 3x winches positioned on the main mast.
• 2x winches positioned on the mizzen mast.
• 2x self-tailing primary winches to the raised cockpit.
• 2x smaller headsail winches to the cockpit.
• Quantum Fully battened mainsail with stack pack and lazy jacks – 2015.
• Self-taking staysail – 2010.
• Genoa – 2010.
• Genaker – 2010.
• In-mast furled mizzen sail – 2010.
• All sails have been checked by sailmakers at the start of each season.
• Stainless-steel pulpit extending around the bowsprit.
• Twin stainless-steel bow rollers.
• Stainless-steel deck mounted stanchions with two rows of stainless-steel guard wires.
• Jib sheet tracks mounted on top of the toerail
• Deck mounted self-tacking staysail track
• Stainless-steel pushpit extending around the raised cockpit/poop deck.
• Stainless steel hoop for mounting the solar panel, life rings, danbuoys and wind generator.
• Extending passarelle.
• Tender davits.
• Retractable mid-ships boarding stairs.
• 2x stainless-steel life raft cradles.
• Stainless-steel cockpit bimini framework.
• Stainless-steel fairleads with matching mooring cleats and bow samson post.
• Timber deck storage box at the foot of the main mast.
• Fixed drop-leaf dining table with fixed seating at the poop deck.
• Transom mounted barbecue.
Anchoring & Mooring:
• 2x anchors with 110m of anchor chain.
• Electric anchor windlass.
• Mooring warps & fenders.
Tender & Outboard:
• 1x Astec 310 inflatable tender with a Mercury 6hp outboard.
• 1x Bombard 420 inflatable tender with a Hidea 15hp outboard.
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Spray hood.
• Mainsail sail cover.
• Cockpit bimini.
• Cockpit cushions
• Raised saloon roof sunbathing cushions.
• Mainsail stack pack with lazy jacks.
• Poop deck dining table cover.
• Poop deck set of cushions.
• Deck storage box cover.
• Navigation lights
Lifesaving Equipment (as required for a licensed charter yacht and having had the technical inspection up to when it was last chartered):
• 2x 6-person life rafts inspected in 2006 and are now due a further inspection.
• 2x Life rings.
• 2x danbuoys.
• 12x lifejackets.
• Fire extinguishers.
• Gas detectors
• Several pumps.
Viewing arrangementsLying Murcia, Spain
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing, please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering a purchase.
Lead Broker: James McNeil – Grabau International (UK)
Tel: +44 (0)7979 907210
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.