2001 X-YACHTS IMX-40 ONE DESIGN
€110,000 tax paid
Rare never raced, high spec IMX-40
|Manufacturer/Model||X-Yachts IMX-40 One Design|
|New or Used||Used|
|Tax/VAT Status||Tax paid|
|Engine||Volvo MD2040 50hp|
|Keel Type||Fin Keel|
|Drinking Water Capacity||145l|
DescriptionHigh spec IMX-40 from 2001 that has been used privately and never raced. A very different proposition from most of her heavily-raced peers. The ultimate ‘go-faster’ cruising boat, or just perfect for club racing campaigns.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Originally launched in July 2001, BIG SMILE is almost unique amongst her peers in that she has not been used for racing. Configured for fast and enjoyable family cruising, BIG SMILE has been lovingly maintained by her owner and is now only offered for sale to make way for a larger X-Yacht.
Her highlights include:-
• Carbon fibre mast and boom
• North Kevlar sails
• Carbon fibre helm wheel
• Harken winches including electric halyard winch
• B&G instruments including 20/20’s at mast and chart plotter at chart table
• Up to 10-berths in 3 cabins including saloon and fold-out pipecots in twin aft double cabins
With the X-412, X-442 and similar models selling in high numbers, the development department found time to maintain the X-Yachts’ reputation in the world of racing. The IMX 40 was introduced as an IMS winner, sporting a carbon mast, boom and wheel as standard and introducing the ‘magic wheel’ backstay adjuster. The design won the European Championship as well as forming two-thirds of the Spanish team that won the Sardinia Cup.
Production Years: 2000 — 2004
Number Built: 99
“This is the fourth Niels Jeppesen-designed X-Yacht we’ve sailed in the past few years. Based on those experiences and the design brief that called for an "IMS cruiser/racer," we thought we had a handle on what to expect. We figured it would have the galvanized steel grid support glassed into all X-Yachts, which makes them strong and stiff--check. A fast hull form--check again…
…From the dock, the first thing we noticed was the IMX 40s 4.5-foot freeboard. The bow is nearly plumb, the entry fine, and the knuckle sits just out of the water. The cabin top is low and unobtrusive, partly because of the high freeboard. The carbon spars are built by Nordic and painted white, and there’s discontinuous rod rigging and three swept-back spreaders on the runnerless fractional rig.
For the benefit of the hiking crew, there’s a nicely rounded hull-deck joint and the toe rails run no farther aft than the chainplates. The stern is open to the 66-inch carbon-fiber wheel, and a transom locker can be installed for cruising storage and seating, or left behind as a dock box when racing…
…An underdeck split-mainsheet system leads just forward of the wheel. There’s an ingenious and effective internal backstay system: a 4-to-1 cascade leads below deck to a 15-to-1 drum that provides 60-to-1 power with a single control line emerging on deck on a swivel cam in front of the wheel--a good position for the main trimmer to reach.
With a crew of five onboard we fired up the three-cylinder Volvo diesel to motor out from the East Greenwich YC before hoisting a full main and blade. The optional roller furler was still attached, making the headstay tension slightly soft, but nontheless, we sped upwind at 7.5 knots. The boat is stiff and was barely affected by the wind-driven chop. The high freeboard kept the leeward rail out of the water even though we were sailing with 20 degrees of heel. With a full race crew on the rail and proper headstay tension, this boat would be a rocket in anything over 10 knots…
…The sightlines on the boat are excellent and the wheel height was good for my 5’10" size. The footchocks were well placed, and the helm sensitive—it’s an easy boat to keep in the groove… In the right hands, whether your shorthanded for a weekend trip or racing in a blow, it’ll get you where you’re going quickly.”
Sailing World – August 2002
• Our understanding is that the yacht is compliant with the EU’s Recreational Craft Directive and is categorised ‘A’.
• White GRP hull laminated in vinylester resin, vacuum-bagged with a foam-cored sandwich construction.
• Solid laminate around deck fittings with embedded alloy plate
• Solid laminate at all through-hull fittings, keel frame and rudder fittings
• Galvanised steel matrix transferring rig and keel loads
• Hull sanded and sand-blasted with new epoxy and antifoul applied - 2018
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
• GRP deck laminated in vinylester resin, vacuum-bagged with a sandwich construction.
• Exposed deck surfaces finished in white gelcoat and non-slip finish
• GRP non-slip, cockpit sole and seating and bathing platform.
Keel & Rudder:
• Ballast fin keel with iron fin and lead bulb
• Carbon fibre rudder blade with composite rudder stock
Engine & gearbox:
• Volvo MD-2040 3-cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine producing 40hp
• Fresh water engine cooling via raw water intake and heat exchanger
• Single lever gear/throttle control
• Saildrive gearbox
Service & Maintenance:
• Date of last engine service – 2018
• Heat exchanger and exhaust replaced 2018
Propulsion & Steering:
• Jefa wheel steering with large diameter carbon-fibre helm wheel
• 3-bladed variable pitch propeller for cruising – fitted 2018
• 2-bladed folding propeller for racing
• 12vDC primary domestic system with 12vDC starting circuit and 220v AC via shorepower or inverter
• 1x 12vDC engine start battery – 2016
• 2x 12vDC service batteries – 2016
• 12/220v automatic battery charger
• 12vDC engine-mounted alternator
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
• Pressurised hot and cold water supplied via 12vDC pressure pump
• Hot & cold pressurised water to galley, heads and shower.
• 1x 12vDC electric bilge pump with manual override control - 2018
• 1x manual bilge pump.
• 90 litres aluminium fuel tank
• 145 litres stainless steel fresh water tank
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
• B&G Hydra 2000 autopilot
• 2x B&G Hydra 2000 multi-repeaters adjacent to companionway
• 2x Contest steering compasses
• 3x B&G 20/20 dispalays at mast
At Chart Table:
• B&G LCD Elite GPS chartplotter
• Shipmate RS8400 VHF at chart table
• Shipmate RS8400 VHF in cockpit
• Gimballed gas stove with two burners and oven
• Sink with hot & cold water supplies
• Jabsco manual marine heads
• Hot & cold pressurised water supply with shower
• Boss Marine CD radio with speakers
Summary of Accommodation:
• The interior layout has a double berth in the forepeak plus a large hangling locker.
• The single heads with shower is located aft with door access to the saloon, new teak floor.
• The main cabin offers a practical solution to the cruising with a large full-length settees to port and starboard with a central table complete with folding leaves. Outboard to port and starboard are stowage lockers and shelves.
• Aft of the saloon area to port is a forward-facing chart table with seat.
• Opposite the chart table to starboard is a L-shaped galley with sink, stove and top-opening refrigerator.
• Aft are two mirrored double cabins with hanging lockers and removable pipe-cots
• Nordic Masts 3-spreader white-painted carbon fibre mast – checked 2018
• Nordic Masts white-painted carbon fibre boom – checked 2018
• Stainless steel rod standing rigging and three spreaders – replaced 2018
• Reckman genoa furler
• New jib tracks, old genoa tracks available
• Rod vang
• German mainsheet system with full width cockpit track and dedicated cockpit winches
• Low-friction batten-car track on mast with Frederiksen ball-bearing sliders
• Towable genoa tracks
• Harken spinnaker pole track on mast – 2017
• Mechancial adjuster for backstay
• Lazyjacks - 2017
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing primary winches
• 2x Harken 2-speed self-tailing mainsheet/spinnaker winches
• 1x Harken 44ST 2-speed electric self-tailing halyard winch at companionway
• 1x Harken 44ST 2-speed self-tailing control line winch at companionway
• North Sails Kevlar fully-battened mainsail
• North Sails Kevlar genoa
• Quantum Sails radial-cut Dacron fully-battened mainsail with 2-reefs
• Quantum Sails radial-cut Dacron furling genoa
• Dacron fully-battened horizontal cut mainsail with 2-reefs
• Quantum Sails storm jib
• North Sails gennaker
• Quantum Sails gennaker
• Removable transom seat with locker stowage (creates an open cockpit when removed)
• Hot and cold shower in the cockpit
• Bathing ladder
• Carbon fibre passarelle
Anchoring & Mooring:
• Lofrans 12vDC electric anchor windlass
• Stainless steel anchor with 70m of chain
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
• Mainsail cover
• Wheel cover
• Cockpit cushions
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
• 8-man liferaft – in service until June 2019
• MOB recovery module
Viewing arrangementsLying Aegina, Greece
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Michele Antonini – Grabau International (Italia)
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.